• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRUE 1936 DDO TYPE 1
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Hello all! So,. This is my very 1st true double die obverse penny. Please Emily experience point enthusiasts reply. Looking to sell. How would I establish math profits. I am already aware of having a local NGC PCGS representative grade the coins. I am aware of Heritage Auction.  But, Maybe I can just sell the coin as it is question? DO you know of any SITES OR VENUES that would help me do that?

20230323_225407.jpg

20230327_225359.jpg

20230327_225508.jpg

20230327_225410.jpg

20230327_225433.jpg

20230327_225445.jpg

Edited by Ben_pennies

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

Although based on your photos of the date, your 1936 Lincoln cent does appear to be the FS-101 doubled die obverse variety, the coin has obviously been improperly "cleaned" and has an unnatural color.  It appears to have only Choice Very Fine details, not "AU 50" as stated on the holder.  I would need cropped, clear photos of both sides of the coin to make a fuller assessment, as recommended by the lead post in following topic, which you should review:

Based on what I can see, the coin likely has a retail value of no more than $100. It probably isn't worth the cost of submitting to a grading service, except perhaps by ANACS (anacs.com), which has lower rates for grading and attribution. I don't think that a coin of such a low value would be accepted as a lone consignment by Heritage or any other major numismatic auction house.  It could be sold at a discount to a dealer at a coin shop or show or offered at a coin club auction or perhaps on ebay or a similar venue.

I'm looking at the zoomed-in shots of the LIBERTY and other areas that would also show doubling on a true 1936 DDO.

Oh, wait. I can't do that. They weren't provided. Fiddlesticks.

The reverse would keep it from grading higher. I think.

Wait. I have no idea, because it evidently never occurred to someone that estimating value would require a look at the reverse.

I see the date may have the correct doubling but without better pictures like the others have said it may or may not be a FS-101.. It is a beat up specimen for sure.

@Ben_pennies while it does appear that you do have an example of the 1936 DDO FS-101, the coin has been cleaned and there is clear post mint damage showing on the obv.   We have no idea if there is more damage on the rev as you neglected to provide a photo of the rev.   However, the damage present on the obv would preclude a straight grade at any legitimate grading service.   From your obv photos I would grade it XF details, although it might grade lower depending on the condition of the rev.   You could send it in to NGC, PCGS or ANACS for grading and then send to Great Collections, Heritage, or Stacks to have it auctioned off.   But between the costs to certify, costs to auction for only one damaged coin, (do not forget all the shipping costs too) I do not see you making very much of a profit on this coin, more than likely you would lose money.

Selling the coin as is on ebay is the cheapest and likely the best selling venue for a coin like this.

For the 1936 DDO FS 101 and FS 102 varieties, doesn't there have to be strong doubling evident not only in just the date but also in LIBERTY and the In God We Trust motto as well?? It is hard to discern from the photo given by the OP of the obverse who was just focusing on the date, but a better pic of these areas as well on the obverse would be needed in my opinion to determine if the coin is a true FS DDO variety. Otherwise, we are just looking at a more extreme example of mechanical doubling.

In addition to my doubt, I agree with Coinbuf and the others that there is a large area of damage on Lincoln's face that would earn a details grade and severely limit the value of this coin. It is not auction house worthy and would likely only see its best offering if sold on eBay.

On 3/25/2023 at 6:07 AM, Mr.Bill347 said:

From your pictures, I am not seeing evidence of DDO except that written on the 2x2 flip. If I am incorrect, others will let me know.

Well, the pics are not the best but it's evident it's the ddo

It might be an FS-101 or FS-102 but the 3 in the date looks wrong.  On the op's coin the base of the 3 is sloping down, but in the referenced DDO's the base of the 3 is flat.  See the attached from varietyvista.com

It could be that the 3 took a hit, but it doesn't look like it without better pics of the op's coin.  Also, attached is a 1936 1C DDO FS-101 graded VF by PCGS.

1936 IC DDO.jpg

1936 1C DDO FS-101 BR PCGS VF-25.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 3/25/2023 at 11:12 AM, powermad5000 said:

For the 1936 DDO FS 101 and FS 102 varieties, doesn't there have to be strong doubling evident not only in just the date but also in LIBERTY and the In God We Trust motto as well?? It is hard to discern from the photo given by the OP of the obverse who was just focusing on the date, but a better pic of these areas as well on the obverse would be needed in my opinion to determine if the coin is a true FS DDO variety. Otherwise, we are just looking at a more extreme example of mechanical doubling.

In addition to my doubt, I agree with Coinbuf and the others that there is a large area of damage on Lincoln's face that would earn a details grade and severely limit the value of this coin. It is not auction house worthy and would likely only see its best offering if sold on eBay.

New pics

Eagle RJO -- Here's a version of your coin photo with the midtones shifted to better show doubling on date and motto. Hope you don't mind.

Image1.thumb.jpg.f50a2ee7d375d7b0b730d668ef1b8ef3.jpg

On 3/25/2023 at 2:52 PM, Ben_pennies said:

Well, the pics are not the best but it's evident it's the ddo

New pics

On 3/25/2023 at 4:13 PM, EagleRJO said:

It might be an FS-101 or FS-102 but the 3 in the date looks wrong.  On the op's coin the base of the 3 is sloping down, but in the referenced DDO's the base of the 3 is flat.  See the attached from varietyvista.com

It could be that the 3 took a hit, but it doesn't look like it without better pics of the op's coin.  Also, attached is a 1936 1C DDO FS-101 graded VF by PCGS.

1936 IC DDO.jpg

1936 1C DDO FS-101 BR PCGS VF-25.jpg

New pics

On 3/25/2023 at 7:06 AM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board. 

Although based on your photos of the date, your 1936 Lincoln cent does appear to be the FS-101 doubled die obverse variety, the coin has obviously been improperly "cleaned" and has an unnatural color.  It appears to have only Choice Very Fine details, not "AU 50" as stated on the holder.  I would need cropped, clear photos of both sides of the coin to make a fuller assessment, as recommended by the lead post in following topic, which you should review:

Based on what I can see, the coin likely has a retail value of no more than $100. It probably isn't worth the cost of submitting to a grading service, except perhaps by ANACS (anacs.com), which has lower rates for grading and attribution. I don't think that a coin of such a low value would be accepted as a lone consignment by Heritage or any other major numismatic auction house.  It could be sold at a discount to a dealer at a coin shop or show or offered at a coin club auction or perhaps on ebay or a similar venue.

New pics

On 3/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, RWB said:

Eagle RJO -- Hope you don't mind.

NP, easier to see the date and other details.

On 3/25/2023 at 9:20 PM, Ben_pennies said:

New pics

They do show a closer match of the date with an FS-101, but the other pics requested to verify that have not been provided.  When posting new pics you really should just add them, keeping ones previously posted which relate to comments already made so it doesn't get confusing.

I am sorry Ben this happens a lot. People post only the part they want to hear about and neglect the rest. There are many other markers to look for. The members here are only tying to help make a accurate judgment of the coin. We all know what the date looks like. No one can say what the coin is for sure unless we see the whole coin obverse and reverse.   

Edited by J P M