• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1931 Portuguese escudo, do people collect these, and are there any values in them?

5 posts in this topic

I've had this for quite a number of years. It was in better shape when I got it, and has deteriorated a bit. The pictures don't do it justice, but I don't feel it's worth spending a hundred dollars to get a better quality camera when I don't do this professionally. Either way, I had never seen a Portuguese escudo, and likely never will again, so regardless of its value, I will be keeping this to look at. I just figured I'd post it on the forum, and see what others thought. I've been amateurly collecting for many years now, learning a bit about different coins here and there, but I am certainly NOT an expert. Thank you!

Escudo on the reverse is actually not as faded on the coin as the pictures show, I think the lighting caused it to look more faded. 

My project-2.jpg

My project-3.jpg

My project-4.jpg

Edited by Pocket Changer

Don't think it's worth much in that condition, but if you like it, hang onto it and enjoy it. It's a nice design when you see it with full detail

On 3/24/2023 at 6:32 PM, JKK said:

Don't think it's worth much in that condition, but if you like it, hang onto it and enjoy it. It's a nice design when you see it with full detail

Thanks! It is a nice design, as when I got it it was in slightly better condition, and it did look pretty beautiful!

For the NGC World Coin Price Guide listing of this coin, see Portugal Escudo KM 578 Prices & Values | NGC (ngccoin.com).  It is composed of copper-nickel. The coin has a minimal retail value listing in Fine condition of $7.50, but yours is worn down to About Good and probably of nominal value or unsalable in that condition. Most foreign coins trade at lower than catalog values in any event. 

There are collectors of coins issued by all countries, but except for rare issues, ones this worn don't attract much attention.  They don't become more worn or deteriorate if they are properly handled.

So I finally am back after a short hiatus. I managed to get some better photos of this coin, and it really shows that this coin is in better shape than it might seem. These photos do it much more justice. I concur with all of you that it's still not worth much, but it  looks much nicer ad cooler in these photos, like JKK said!I've also gotten much better at cropping my photos, and will hopefully post more cool coins tonight, thank you all for your advice and tips! 

Escudobetter obverse.png

escudobetter reverse.png