• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on a 1943 I believe steel Penny
1 1

6 posts in this topic

What is your question? I see nothing unusual about this portion of the obverse of a 1943 zinc coated steel cent, of which over 684 million were minted.

Please review and follow the recommendations in the following topic so that we may better assist you:

Please, at a minimum, post clear, cropped photos of each entire side of the coin and more focused photos of the area where you claim to see "doubling", as I can't see any doubling in your photo. (Did you read the topic?) You might also want to check your coin against the photos of the two doubled die varieties recognized in NGC VarietyPlus, which you can find under the "Resources" tab on the home page

The legal weight of a newly minted 1943 steel cent was between 2.689 and 2.754 grams, with a tolerance of 0.13 grams.  The slightly low weight of 2.5 grams may be attributable to the coin being worn or rusted or your scale being inaccurate or rounding to the nearest 0.1 or 0.5 gram.  To weigh coins, which is usually unnecessary, a digital scale should give weights out to the nearest 0.01 gram. In any case, this slight deviation for a base metal, mass produced coin is likely irrelevant. Unless it is a recognized doubled die variety, the coin is probably worth no more than 50 cents retail.

Your 1943 cent is an entirely normal, rusted zinc coated steel piece. It has a realistic fair market value of between one and two cents, Please stop watching those stupid U-tube videos. Please...?