• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1961 d quarter (everything is legible)

7 posts in this topic

I got this quarter a few months ago. It's in pretty rough shape, but everything is clearly legible. Was wondering whether it would be worth getting this graded, and what a good dealer would possibly pay for something like this? According to NGC's website, 1961 d quarters can go for as much as $7400, and while I know this is nowhere near top of the line condition, let alone pristine, uncirculated condition, I was wondering whether anyone has any thoughts on the value? Thanks in advance!

20221109_193400.jpg

20221109_193459.jpg

Edited by Pocket Changer

Welcome . It is a nice looking coin. Maybe worth between 3 to $10 depending on the grade. It is hard to see in the bag.  You may want to take it out of the plastics bag. It may have PVC ? 

On 3/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, J P M said:

Welcome . It is a nice looking coin. Maybe worth between 3 to $10 depending on the grade. It is hard to see in the bag.  You may want to take it out of the plastics bag. It may have PVC ? 

To be honest, I didn't know about PVC until you just informed me, so thank you! I will try to take it out of the bag, I only put it in there so I wouldn't have to dirty it with my hands every time I touch it, but now I see there could be more serious problems. Will try to take pictures once it's out of the bag. I literally got this in change at the pizza store a few months ago. Thanks again for the information!

On 3/21/2023 at 3:14 PM, J P M said:

I took it out of the bag and tried getting some better pictures, though I am in no way a professional photographer, I'm simply using my smartphone. I hope these pictures are of better help! it does look like it may have some PVC on it..

20230321_163438.jpg

20230321_163559.jpg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1961-D quarter appears to be in About Uncirculated condition, with a retail list value of $5-$6.  Dealers would pay the silver value, currently around $4.  It's very unusual to find silver coins in circulation today, so you were lucky.

If you're interested in learning more about U.S. coins and how to evaluate and collect them, the print and online resources discussed in the following topic should be helpful to you:

On 3/21/2023 at 4:55 PM, Sandon said:

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your 1961-D quarter appears to be in About Uncirculated condition, with a retail list value of $5-$6.  Dealers would pay the silver value, currently around $4.  It's very unusual to find silver coins in circulation today, so you were lucky.

If you're interested in learning more about U.S. coins and how to evaluate and collect them, the print and online resources discussed in the following topic should be helpful to you:

Thanks for the info Sandon. I got this in pocket change, so I'm not sure what I'll do with it now. I always try to look up info about coins before posting. I always make sure to put NGC in there. For example, when searching up this coin, I typed in 1961 d quarter value NGC, so that NGC's website is the first option to pop up, and the info usually pops up on Google's page without even having to click on the link. I will definitely look more into the resources you have suggested, and I appreciate the info!