• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1785 Connecticut Colonial Copper Cent
1 1

11 posts in this topic

Hi all, In 1978 I found a 1785 Connecticut Colonial Copper Cent. I was doing a garden for my mother. After digging two feet deep. I came across three coins. One 1827 and 1829 Large Cent. The third coin was a 1785 Connecticut Copper Cent. It has been eroded, being under the ground for almost 200 years. but under magnification, you can make out the year. I would like to have it encapsulate but unsure if could be. The other coins dates are legible  995195440_thumbnail-2023-03-20T220020_852.jpg.9118f87f1acace4f1f648b122451d031.jpgThoughts? Advice? 

Welcome to the forum, to damaged to be worth the cost to submit for grading, it will almost 100% guaranteed be returned in a details holder as environmentally damaged.   It is a cool find but has very little collector value in that condition imo.

Is there any detail on the obverse? I collect Connecticut coppers by die variety, they are fascinating coins.  They are surprisingly affordable for such a historic coin.  I just bought a Rarity 6 variety, 13 to 30 estimated known, for $25 in fully identifiable condition.  I fully agree that there would be no point in having this one slabbed, enjoy it as is!

Edited by l.cutler

I would have been happy just to have found the two large cents. Finding that Connecticut copper is icing on the cake. Congratulations!  Have you had it stored away for the last 45 years, or do you take it out and show it to people?

On 3/21/2023 at 9:45 AM, Just Bob said:

I would have been happy just to have found the two large cents. Finding that Connecticut copper is icing on the cake. Congratulations!  Have you had it stored away for the last 45 years, or do you take it out and show it to people?

I have it stored . I bring it out to show friends. The Large cents have legible dates. I always wonder when/year it was dropped. Who held it. Questions that will never be answered. 

On 3/21/2023 at 4:34 AM, l.cutler said:

Is there any detail on the obverse? I collect Connecticut coppers by die variety, they are fascinating coins.  They are surprisingly affordable for such a historic coin.  I just bought a Rarity 6 variety, 13 to 30 estimated known, for $25 in fully identifiable condition.  I fully agree that there would be no point in having this one slabbed, enjoy it as is!

There are details that I was able to identify it as 1785. 

Those are some great finds to pull out of the ground!!!! As for the Connecticut, if the date on a coin is not legible enough to be read by the graders (even though they might be able to identify the actual coin as you have with the Connecticut), NGC will not put the coin in a holder and it will be returned to you as Date Not Legible. You will be out the shipping costs, grading fees as they still do have to look at the coin, and the return shipping, so it is really not worth trying in this case. I found this out the hard way sending an 1811 Half Cent in which the numbers were barely legible but not enough for their standards. I would assume PCGS would do the same. Keeping in mind that Poor 1 is the lowest grade possible for a coin but even the standards for that grade level are that the date be readable.

I would put it in a flip and hang on to it though. Cool finds!

On 3/21/2023 at 11:19 PM, powermad5000 said:

Those are some great finds to pull out of the ground!!!! As for the Connecticut, if the date on a coin is not legible enough to be read by the graders (even though they might be able to identify the actual coin as you have with the Connecticut), NGC will not put the coin in a holder and it will be returned to you as Date Not Legible. You will be out the shipping costs, grading fees as they still do have to look at the coin, and the return shipping, so it is really not worth trying in this case. I found this out the hard way sending an 1811 Half Cent in which the numbers were barely legible but not enough for their standards. I would assume PCGS would do the same. Keeping in mind that Poor 1 is the lowest grade possible for a coin but even the standards for that grade level are that the date be readable.

I would put it in a flip and hang on to it though. Cool finds!

That's what I'm going to do. Thanks