• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could an educational coin exhibit "Now You See it, Now You Don't -- Pareidolia In Numismatics"

8 posts in this topic

...be assembled?

This might make a very interesting and challenging exhibit about an increasingly common problem for newer collectors.

We see here, and on all other coin message boards, a lot of new people claiming to see all sorts of added mintmarks, or overdates or all sorts of things - none of which exist. Maybe this could increase collector knowledge a little?

On 3/19/2023 at 8:18 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not sure I understand the title....:|

The simplest definition I could find for "pareidolia" is "a situation in which someone sees a pattern or image of something that does not exist, for example a face in a cloud." Cambridge Dictionary (online edition).  It is apparently a term used in psychology and may be of relatively recent origin, as it's not in either my 1953 Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary or my 1973 American Heritage Dictionary.  It is clearly applicable to those we encounter in these forums who claim that they have a coin that has multiple strikes or was struck over another coin when what they claim to be evidence of the underlying strike or type is just damage or discoloration. I'm not sure how it can be cured, other than through education.

Putting together a display of such coins is easy, we have a plethora of examples that have been posted here alone.  Getting a newbie or fortune seeker to read and accept such a concept is quite a different thing. 

It would be great for new collectors. Maybe it will help them understand the minting process and how these extra letters and things cant be in certain places and what they think they are seeing isnt possible most of the time. Maybe they wont fall for coins like this one on Ebay for over $1250. What the seller is seeing is damage and not what they are claming in the description. I took a screenshot of it. This is a very important topic for this reason. If I sold something like that to someone Id at least pay for the shipping. lol No worries though. I wouldnt do someone that way. Screenshot_20230320-000549_eBay.thumb.jpg.655b4dd973279dbc40cb7e8b85ab8772.jpg

Edited by Hoghead515

As an ANA certified exhibit judge, I can predict that if this topic were done well, it would potentially be an award winner.