• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strike through?
1 1

12 posts in this topic

It does appear that the impressions at the bottom right of the bust are raised, in which case it would be a die error as it wouldn't be something that normally may occur as part of the coin production process.

Nice find, but you really should be able to identify what happened.  It is unusual, and I was initially thinking die chips but the 1 and 9 in the date is intact.

Edited by EagleRJO

This does appear to be a "strike through", possibly of a foil thin piece of scrap or lamination that had peeled off of another blank and adhered to the obverse die or the blank of the coin being struck. This foreign object was thin enough that much of the pressure of striking went through it, resulting in the design appearing on the struck coin, as well as the impression from the foreign object.

On 3/19/2023 at 12:12 PM, Sandon said:

This does appear to be a "strike through"

For a "struck through" the impression would be incuse or depressed, whereas it appears to be raised areas on the coin.  Also, the 1 and 9 of the date are intact which makes me think die chips or delaminations, and a strike-thru likely would have affected the date.

Maybe the op can clarify if the areas are depressed or raised, as to me thay appear to be raised from the pics.

Edited by EagleRJO

@EagleRJO--As I see the photos, the impression is definitely "incuse or depressed", not raised. Moreover, if there had been a depression from a delamination on the blank that created this coin, the depression would likely have been partly flattened by the striking pressure, not crisp and deep as it appears here.

It does look more like a depression but there's also another impression across the bottom that is week but defined lines that goes from edge to edge 

Screenshot_20230319-131708_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230319-131608_Gallery.jpg

It did initially appear to be raised, which I was thinking was a die chip or die delamination, not a planchet delamination.  But the op indicated it is incuse, so yea a struck through.  Maybe something that came off the press.

Worth keeping with other minor "mint errors", but to me not of much value as the item that was struck thru is not readily apparent.

Edited by EagleRJO

Pics of both sides of the coin would also be helpful in this situation so we could see if there was anything bizarre on the reverse as well. Being the area in question has been determined to be incuse, this is definitely a struck through error. There could be any of a number of things flying around the mint that could have gotten caught in between the dies during the strike (lint, thread, wire, blanking scrap, etc.) Whatever it was in this case I am thinking was not a hard metal object as that would have definitely affected the final image after the strike and the 1 and the 9 appear to be intact as well as much of the detail of Lincoln's suit. Therefore, I am thinking this was something compressible like possibly pieces of cardboard.