• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guessing Game, With a Difference
1 1

97 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2023 at 2:07 PM, Sandon said:

For the same reason, it's getting harder and harder to find decent uncertifi

I’ve noticed this too, but NOT east of the Appalachians. Get past the last PA Turnpike tunnel and it’s a whole different numismatic planet. 

On 3/8/2023 at 5:35 PM, VKurtB said:

SLABS ARE NOT PROTECTIVE, PERIOD! Let’s stop that pernicious myth (lie)  right here and right now!

I'd say that certified holders are not more protective than some traditional holders, particularly lucite holders and boards and other inert plastic holders such as "Snap-Tites" and capsules.  I've had coins, including brilliant uncirculated and proof coins in all metals, remain unchanged in these holders for decades.  Mylar flips and albums are generally satisfactory as well, except I've had the parts of coins near the open end of a mylar flip tone after a while, and you have to beware of thicker coins in albums that could rub against the top slide develop slide marks.

On 3/8/2023 at 4:54 PM, Sandon said:

I'd say that certified holders are not more protective than some traditional holders, particularly lucite holders and boards and other inert plastic holders such as "Snap-Tites" and capsules.  I've had coins, including brilliant uncirculated and proof coins in all metals, remain unchanged in these holders for decades.  Mylar flips and albums are generally satisfactory as well, except I've had the parts of coins near the open end of a mylar flip tone after a while, and you have to beware of thicker coins in albums that could rub against the top slide develop slide marks.

I have the first-person evidence. Round capsules without foam gaskets are the most protective system I’ve used, followed by Eagle brand holders, Capital Plastics, NGC holders, PCGS holders, and bringing up BY FAR the worst - old small soap bar ANACS holders. In my experience, well stapled Mylar 2x2’s with cardboard frames have beaten ALL the TPGS holders. A crummy staple job ruins those. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/8/2023 at 5:33 PM, Coinbuf said:

In all honesty while that is why many of us are here; there are one or two here that do in fact want to change what and how others collect because those one or two individuals think they know it all and the only "right" way is their way, the premise of this thread pretty much demonstrates that.

...i understand ur point but i try to mostly direct my opinions n comments to the general populace here unless its a direct response to a specific question or coin, but generally speaking in collecting anything its up to the collector to determine what is right or correct for them, of course everyone can probably learn some do's n dont's from other collectors but as to what n how to collect its a wide open hobby as it should be....

On 3/9/2023 at 7:43 AM, ldhair said:

It's not my place to tell others what and how to collect. Just have fun and do what you enjoy.

And yet one of THE MOST attended talks at the ANA show was EXACTLY ON THAT  - what and how to collect. And I’m NEVER going to stop. This kum bay yah, do your own thing stuff is idiotic. There are standards. If you CHOOSE to ignore basic standards, it is YOU who leave behind befuddled heirs who will be struggling to not get taken. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/9/2023 at 10:43 AM, ldhair said:

It's all about good record keeping and planning. 

Yes, yes it is. I was responding to somebody upthread who implied they wouldn’t be able to do this without slabbed coins and/or registries. I reject the notion, that’s all. Sounds like 🐂💩 to me. If you think I’M tough on modern day collectors, Larry, you should sit down with Cliff Mishler some time and just chat. He’s BRUTAL AS ALL GET OUT on modern day collecting sensitivities. So is Ken Bressett, and so was Chet Krause, before he passed on. And so is my frequent rhetorical nemesis here, Roger. Has the hobby “morphed” or changed or e(de?)volved? Sure! But not for the better mostly. 

Do TPGS have a legitimate role? OF COURSE THEY DO! But it has gotten utterly ridiculous! Things (services) they formerly REFUSED TO OFFER now constitute the flat out MAJORITY of their business AND their newest line of business. It’s gone bizarre. I’m just pointing it out. 

Edited by VKurtB

Larry, you want brutal honesty? I can give you brutal honesty. 

1) YouTube is numismatic poison. Get as far away from it as you can. 
2) Minor errors on “pennies” are worthless because almost none of them ARE errors. 
3) Put away your stupid high power USB microscopes. You get dumber each day you use one. 
4) NEVER have a coin slabbed UNTIL you can concisely write down exactly WHY you want it slabbed. Too many do it because they just think it’s what is done. It ain’t, sorry. 
5) Databases are databases, and registries are registries. One is NOT the other. 

and THE MAIN REASON THEY GAVE ME THE SMEDLEY AWARD:

6) Get away from your screen and get your kiester to a live coin show or coin club meeting, preferably both. Do it now. Do it often. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/9/2023 at 3:34 PM, zadok said:

...there r no standards in collecting...just guidelines established by the different organizations...what n how anyone collects stamps, coins rocks etc is purely a personal choice, no one needs to conform to any standards to establish what they want to collect n how they choose to pursue that collection...

I simply disagree, Z. That’s all. 

For some of us, with plenty of time and $$$, one can afford to risk a bad purchase and certainly spend lots of time doing all that can be done to minimize said bad purchase.  Many people here can spend a few hours a day researching and looking at coins, watching auctions, talking to dealers and other collectors, etc.

For others, we might spend a few hours a MONTH doing that, maybe less.

Caveat Emptor !

On 3/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, VKurtB said:

Larry, you want brutal honesty? I can give you brutal honesty. 

1) YouTube is numismatic poison. Get as far away from it as you can. 
2) Minor errors on “pennies” are worthless because almost none of them ARE errors. 
3) Put away your stupid high power USB microscopes. You get dumber each day you use one. 
4) NEVER have a coin slabbed UNTIL you can concisely write down exactly WHY you want it slabbed. Too many do it because they just think it’s what is done. It ain’t, sorry. 
5) Databases are databases, and registries are registries. One is NOT the other. 

and THE MAIN REASON THEY GAVE ME THE SMEDLEY AWARD:

6) Get away from your screen and get your kiester to a live coin show or coin club meeting, preferably both. Do it now. Do it often. 

I agree with most but I'll add a bit.

1) YouTube gives new collectors false hope of finding something valuable. When they learn the truth, most leave the hobby. I just hope that some hang in there and become long term collectors. There is some great information on the Tube but new folks can't separate the truth from the poison.

2) True but there is a good side to this. Some learn from the study and maybe stay with the hobby. Young folks with little money can collect something for free and learn. The smart ones will learn what is worthless with help from sites such as this one.

3) I agree. Why do some post 20 out of focus images? They must see how poor the images are when they post them.

4) That's a good idea to write down why they want the coin slabbed. I can see someone with a coin that is really special to them wanting it put in a nice holder. Some just have to learn the hard way that they are wasting money.

5) I agree.

6) I can't think of a better way to learn. Looking at as many coins as possible can do wonders for a persons grading skills. Talking with dealers and other collectors, face to face, is important. 

On 3/9/2023 at 10:41 PM, zadok said:

.i imagine that all those ANA members (i am one) n non-members who attend those talks dont depart changing their minds bout how they collect n what they collect, most or many just go listen see if any new ideas interest them n then modify those to their needs n desires

This

I don't believe more than a very low percentage care what others think about the coins they collect, except to the extent it impacts resale value.  I've read posts in the past disputing this (in particular from one poster who will remain nameless) but collecting is too anonymous where we don't have to interact with dealers or other collectors if we choose.  It's been that way for 20 years now, or more.

On 3/9/2023 at 10:41 PM, zadok said:

im sure there r probably more collectors that have never read anything ANA has published than those that have

Agree

I don't collect US coins.  The most relevant to me is probably counterfeit detection and second, grading somewhat.  I don't see that anything else about the ANA really has anything to do with my collecting.

I also don't see that the ANA is relevant to most collectors because of what they collect either and their coin budgets.  It's presumably the equivalent to a recreational consumption expense to them.

On 3/8/2023 at 5:35 PM, VKurtB said:

SLABS ARE NOT PROTECTIVE, PERIOD! Let’s stop that pernicious myth (lie)  right here and right now!

That is one of the most rediculous statements I've ever heard coming from somebody who should know better. C'mon man after seeing what happens to red coppers in two by twos and observing a collector racing to shovel up his Peace Dollars after dropping his Dansco on the concrete floor at a local show, I'm floored at your 'never slab' kind of mentality. I used to have the same attitude I confess but I've since moved on.

On 3/11/2023 at 9:15 AM, numisport said:

That is one of the most rediculous statements I've ever heard coming from somebody who should know better. C'mon man after seeing what happens to red coppers in two by twos and observing a collector racing to shovel up his Peace Dollars after dropping his Dansco on the concrete floor at a local show, I'm floored at your 'never slab' kind of mentality. I used to have the same attitude I confess but I've since moved on.

At the ANA show last weekend I had the opportunity to hear the clink and clack of silver and plastic hitting the concrete floor multiple times.   I'll bet that the clack sounds of the plastic had a much higher chance of no damage to the coins than the silver clink sounds.

I guess Kurt's brother must have had a table there too.  One dealer table I stopped at was very eager to share his disdain for slabs with everyone who stopped by his table.  Needless to say I did not see him do any business while I was around his area.

@VKurtB Did you have the opportunity to talk to Cliff Mishler about your "followers", "likes", and your "Leaderboard status" here on the NGC Boards?  We know those aspects are super important to you.  So, I have to surmise that you defended the online community at least little bit. hm 

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist
changed to "...the online community"

On 3/13/2023 at 9:08 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

@VKurtB Did you have the opportunity to talk to Cliff Mishler about your "followers", "likes", and your "Leaderboard status" here on the NGC Boards?  We know those aspects are super important to you.  So, I have to surmise that you defended the online community at least little bit. hm 

Here’s my take on the online community. It’s not the same hobby as the show going hobby. It’s just fundamentally different. And the intersection of the two divisions is really kind of small. How many ANA Committee members are on here? Me and who else? Small intersection set - tiny. How many people on here do competitive EXHIBITS? I have, but only 3 times. How many of the record number of ANA Board of Governors candidates have accounts here, ATS, or at CT? None that I know of. How many in here have ever been to an ANA banquet? It’s just a hugely bifurcated hobby, if not trifurcated or worse. There are over 27,000 ANA members. How many do this site? Kim Kiick, ANA Executive Director, never HEARD OF this discussion board. 

I am a ANA member. I love the information available from the ANA. There was a time before internet ANA ,coin clubs and coin magazines was almost the only way to get information. Not as much now the internet has filled a large void. This forum is a great asset to the hobby. You can come and speak with knowledgeable people where in the past you would have to go to a club or coin shop. I am sorry to see that there are not more older collectors that know of this site here and ATS. If the old timers don't feed the newcomers wisely there will be no more history to share. Coin Collectors like old statues and monuments will continue to disappear across the country.  

Here is my take:

The ANA has lost some of its potency, because more information is readily available.  Less collectors are dependent on the ANA for information than in the past.  Shows, while still heavily attended, have lost potency.  One used to have to get material from a show or shop and (s)he was limited to what was available to them in person... but now one can find anything (s)he needs online.  The online vehicle is both cost effective and robust to the collector.  The biggest downside to online is that there is a lot of misinformation, both in collecting strategy and the coins themselves can be misrepresented.

The people who are in charge of shows hate online presence the most.  This is because there is a conflict of interest.  Shows generate revenue by selling tables to dealers.  If the dealers are selling online, they may be less likely to buy a table.  Likewise, if a collector has found what they need from their living room they will be less likely to attend/or buy from a show.  I am not saying that people don't like buying from shows (they 100% do), but every dollar that is spent online dilutes dollars that would be spent at a show.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

On 3/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, VKurtB said:

Here’s my take on the online community. It’s not the same hobby as the show going hobby. It’s just fundamentally different. And the intersection of the two divisions is really kind of small. How many ANA Committee members are on here? Me and who else? Small intersection set - tiny. How many people on here do competitive EXHIBITS? I have, but only 3 times. How many of the record number of ANA Board of Governors candidates have accounts here, ATS, or at CT? None that I know of. How many in here have ever been to an ANA banquet? It’s just a hugely bifurcated hobby, if not trifurcated or worse. There are over 27,000 ANA members. How many do this site? Kim Kiick, ANA Executive Director, never HEARD OF this discussion board. 

The difference between you and most other collectors is that by your own posts, the ANA and coin clubs are an important part of your social life.  That's only true for a very low minority of collectors, less than the number of ANA members.  Maybe a lot less.

I've discussed this with you before and I consider my perception of this subject to be more or less the norm.  My coin budget is for coins, not to pay to travel and spend time with people I don't even want to be with or aren't important to me.  Same thing for my vacation time.  I can't go anywhere now due to personal reasons but when I could, I used all my vacation time to visit family in other countries.

I'd consider going to coin shows including the ANA, but the only one which is relatively convenient to me is FUN which I will eventually go to, probably once.  There isn't much point for me to go to any coin show because of the very low probability I will find anything I really want to buy.  For most collectors, there is no need to travel any distance because the coins they collect are common.

As for ANA membership, doesn't really have anything to do with what I have collected since 1998 and won't in the future either.  I was a member for a few years, but it I don't see a reason to be one now.  It's more expensive, but if I was going to support a numismatic organization, it will probably be the ANS.  I do intend to go to NYC to view the parts of the collection of interest to me, firstly pillar subsidiary mints.  Hopefully during the NYINC.

Edited by World Colonial

On 3/13/2023 at 3:37 PM, zadok said:

...this issue is a bit more complex than just the merits of collecting online/internet and/or going to coin shows...true, the real essence of collecting anything is the face to face interaction of looking, dealing, buying the items u collect, the camaraderie, personal interaction, reacquaintances one experiences... those days r slipping by if not disappearing, the world has changed n continues to do so, the hobby must also change or it will be left behind as we knew it...but this discussion is more than just about the hobby, it is also about the ANA, which some believe should be the face of the hobby, a roll that the ANA has abrogated voluntarily...why would it do that? priorities n influences changed as personnel running the association changed n their goals for the hobby changed...there r some basics to consider, first the ANA n its membership is a miniscule portion of the hobby, its like 2/1000% of the coin collecting community, i personally doubt that it would increase significantly if membership were free...next the goals of the ANA have changed, it started out as a collectors organization based on education n information n morphed into a controlling group that r little interested in the collectors, except that they need them, no its more of a for dealers organization n the associated businesses that the dealers need...hence, the closely knit associations between the ANA n the show promoters n the dealers that support those associations...the collectors n the education/information basis of the organization r still paid lip service but the priorities r elsewhere...vkurt questions why the board members n officers of the organization were not aware of nor participate in forums such as this one, its because they choose not to...it does not serve their purposes...back to the original issue, its not the merits of online participation versus in person participation, that is just a small part of the issue n the part that the ANA plays is deeply conflicted, its more about the collector versus the dealer n the association/show promoter versus the collector...sure the ANA could be very active on forums like this one but it does not serve their goals to do so...

You are CLOSE, VERY close, to a fundamental truth, but I think you missed the most important truth. I saw it more clearly this month at Phoenix than ever before. There is a cadre of dealer leadership who is CONSTANTLY trying to bend the ANA to its private pecuniary interests. Then again there is an educational/collector “party” that is currently in the majority (barely). They really locked horns at the Phoenix meeting. I have chosen to go “all in” with the anti-dealer pro-collector activist wing. The ANA is a 501(c)3 educational organization, not some damned coin dealer trade group. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/13/2023 at 6:53 PM, VKurtB said:

You are CLOSE, VERY close, to a fundamental truth, but I think you missed the most important truth. I saw it more clearly this month at Phoenix than ever before. There is a cadre of dealer leadership who is CONSTANTLY trying to bend the ANA to its private pecuniary interests. Then again there is an educational/collector “party” that is currently in the majority (barely). They really locked horns at the Phoenix meeting. I have chosen to go “all in” with the anti-dealer pro-collector activist wing. The ANA is a 501(c)3 educational organization, not some damned coin dealer trade group. 

...agree...guess just see what prevails, the money or the collector...be interesting...sort of stupid they both need each other to survive...the hobby will survive but the ANA has had numerous opportunities to take a leadership role n has declined so far....

On 3/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, zadok said:

...agree...guess just see what prevails, the money or the collector...be interesting...sort of stupid they both need each other to survive...the hobby will survive but the ANA has had numerous opportunities to take a leadership role n has declined so far....

There already is a coin dealer trade group - the Professional Numismatist’s Guild, PNG. You have to be a dealer with over a half million in net assets to join. Do that. Leave the ANA to those who desire to push the educational mandate. 

On 3/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

There already is a coin dealer trade group - the Professional Numismatist’s Guild, PNG. You have to be a dealer with over a half million in net assets to join. Do that. Leave the ANA to those who desire to push the educational mandate. 

I’m an ANA member and believe it should be strictly for promoting the hobby, education and research.  As for shows and the registry. Both serve an important role. It doesn’t really matter if you prefer one over the other as long as you participate. 

Enough said.