• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guessing Game, With a Difference
1 1

97 posts in this topic

I got to talk at length with Cliff Mishler who has a VERY extensive collection, across MANY genres. Of course his exonumia is raw, and he does have an extensive collection of “sample slabs”. But guess, either by raw number or by percentage, how many of his U.S. high grade coins are slabbed. Hint: the number is low, but NOT zero. And the sample slabs don’t count. I’m going to get groceries. If there are a few guesses, I’ll give the answer then. 

Edited by VKurtB

The answer is ONE.  Cliff Mishler owns exactly ONE slabbed coin. Think about that. Now, talk to me about how important Registry Sets are. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, VKurtB said:

The answer is ONE.  Cliff Mishler owns exactly ONE slabbed coin. Think about that. Now, talk to me about how important Registry Sets are. 

...not really important as far as true collecting of coins go, just another avenue for collectors to pursue, some like the challenges some pay it no mind....

The more one deals “face to face”, the less one needs slabs. Cliff is the ULTIMATE face to face guy. He’s ALWAYS on the road, it seems. 

On 3/7/2023 at 3:07 PM, VKurtB said:

To provide a little more context, what's the scale of his collection?

Given who he is and how long he's been associated with coin collecting, I'm assuming it covers a wide range of US series and maybe world coinage too.

Who said "register sets are important?" Was it, 1) Alfred E. Newman; 2) Alfred the Great; 3) Dan Quail; 4) breaking news on Fox "Nuz"; or 5) Elmer Fudd ?

[Must agree with Kurt - not important at all except to the owners as some sort of detached competition.]

On 3/7/2023 at 5:07 PM, World Colonial said:

To provide a little more context, what's the scale of his collection?

Given who he is and how long he's been associated with coin collecting, I'm assuming it covers a wide range of US series and maybe world coinage too.

It does indeed. His collection is probably in five figures of individual coins. He also bemoans ridiculous price deltas for one point grade differences that aren’t even repeatable. He doesn’t think much of “the game” of today’s collecting. 

On 3/8/2023 at 10:02 AM, J P M said:

Now days I buy all my coins all ready graded so my wife and kids have some way of knowing what they may be worth. I also shop coin stores and most of the prices of coins in 2x2''s on the shelves I can pick up online in a NGS or PCGS holder for the same price or less if I shop around. 

This.  Exactly this is why I buy graded coins.  When I die, my family can scan the coin and get an estimated retail, and they will have the Greysheet to understand wholesale.  The grading and identification of the coin/variety is already done for them.  I think if one is leaving coins behind, it helps to make the collection as transparent as possible.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:38 AM, Simple Collector said:

I use the registry to connect with other collectors who have similar interests and collect the same coins that I do. I have had the pleasure of meeting several collectors because of the registry on both sides of the street. I have owned many coins that currently dwell in other registry sets for one reason or another. I have also acquired coins from fellow collectors that fit into my sets as well. 

Additional advantages of the registry include a nicely designed database that allows me to keep my coins organized and tracked. I can also enjoy my collection and those of others from the comfort and privacy of my home visually without taking them from a secure location.

I also think that going back to the underlying premise of the registry set which is the whole idea of TPG slabbed coins. In our markets today I am very happy to have the option of certifying services available for many reasons including authentication, grading and packaging to name just a few. In addition, certified coins are valued higher, sell easier at higher prices and there is a reasonable confidence that the coins are not counterfeit.

Bottom line to me would be: if you do not like the registry then why not go to other coin sites that do no have a registry rather than hang out here on a registry site developed by a third party grader.

Or even why bother with ANYTHING online, right? I mean, heck, Cliff Mishler sure doesn’t “do” online, right? Know what I use to “connect” with collectors of similar interests? Planes, trains, and automobiles. I even got to rap face to face with Administrator Lisa on this site last week. No avatar. The living breathing Lisa. 

By the way, I also use NGC’s database, but not the registry. No registry is required to use the database. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/8/2023 at 1:37 PM, VKurtB said:

Or even why bother with ANYTHING online, right? I mean, heck, Cliff Mishler sure doesn’t “do” online, right? Know what I use to “connect” with collectors of similar interests? Planes, trains, and automobiles. I even got to rap face to face with Administrator Lisa on this site last week. No avatar. The living breathing Lisa. 

By the way, I also use NGC’s database, but not the registry. No registry is required to use the database. 

I don't understand your point. I have traveled as well and mentioned that I have met collectors with similar interests. And perhaps some may not have the financial means to travel as you have.

I also know how and do use the database often but can look at a specific set within the registry and see all the sets listed in one place. 

How do you know Cliff does not "do" online? You don't "do" the registry thing, but you do "do" online. 

On 3/8/2023 at 12:38 PM, Simple Collector said:

In our markets today I am very happy to have the option of certifying services available for many reasons including authentication, grading and packaging to name just a few. In addition, certified coins are valued higher, sell easier at higher prices and there is a reasonable confidence that the coins are not counterfeit.

Authentication isn't much of an issue for most coins, and to the extent it's a bigger issue now, it's substantially due to the inflated price level associated with TPG.  I know counterfeiting is more widespread and modern technology makes it easier, but counterfeiters don't randomly (mass) counterfeit anything.  That's why US coins are more heavily counterfeited than others.

The number on the label is marketing which does make the coins more liquid, but the inflated price level once again makes this a circular problem.

Up to 2010, I'd sell coins intermittently on eBay, both graded and not.  From what I can see, liquidity has collapsed in that venue, and it used to be the best option for most collectors.  This is a secondary reason I won't spend any "noticeable" money on "side collections" or random coin purchases where I might have in the past.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, Simple Collector said:

I don't understand your point. I have traveled as well and mentioned that I have met collectors with similar interests. And perhaps some may not have the financial means to travel as you have.

I also know how and do use the database often but can look at a specific set within the registry and see all the sets listed in one place. 

How do you know Cliff does not "do" online? You don't "do" the registry thing, but you do "do" online. 

I talked with Cliff for over an hour last week. Face to face. At the Message Desk at the Phoenix ANA show. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:19 PM, World Colonial said:

to the extent it's a bigger issue now, it's substantially due to the inflated price level associated with TPG.

Wow! So true and soooo well put. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:16 PM, Simple Collector said:

I’m working on my own database, using Ubuntu, the Linux variant. When it’s done, it’ll reside on my server and I’ll access it from my phone, running a different Linux variant. 

On 3/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I totally agree that the best relationships are built face-to-face, however, to ignore the cost/time effectiveness of forging relationships online is short sighted IMO.  I think collectors today should use every avenue possible to find like-minded collectors/dealers and material that fits his/her collecting goals.  If I had to depend on face-to-face sales and in-person relationships, I would not have access to a fraction of the coins I do by using a multi-outlet approach.

I do find it ironic that we are knocking online presence, graded coins and the registry on an online TPG registry forum... but, we can put a pin in that for now.:roflmao: 

Low quality alternatives are both - low quality AND alternatives. Just because one uses an alternative does not remove its lack of quality, nor one’s awareness of that fact. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Sandon said:

The increasing values for classic U.S. coins and the influx of Chinese and other counterfeits have also contributed to the increased use of third-party grading. For the same reason, it's getting harder and harder to find decent uncertified coins of any real value.

For US coins but not otherwise.  Most the coins in my primary collection are graded and most I bought graded, but I have a list I'd be interested in buying given the opportunity and the vast majority in it are not graded.  These are from the few somewhat prominent collections which sold in 1988, 1991, and 1996.

I also don't consider the risk of fakes that high with what I collect.  It's not that I am so good at detecting it, it's that counterfeiters have a much higher incentive to fake something, practically anything else.

The most profitable counterfeiting is either a relatively low number of valuable coins (like the HR Saint) or a large number of very common but still meaningfully valued coins, like US key dates, Morgan dollars, Spanish cobs, Sovereigns, and pillar dollars.  It's not very profitable to fake a very small number of moderate to low priced coins, my series.  With many of these coins, even one could be suspicious.

Of course you can buy slabbed coins and crack them out. Makes sense doesn't it. Without slabs Mr. Mishlers' proofs are certainly showing environmental damage though still appealing I'm sure. I take a slab for what it was intended to be. That would be an anti tampering device first then a protective device next and on down the list of its benefits you can go. Then go ahead if you want to handle your coins crack them out, TPGs would love to regrade them when the next generation gets hold of them. 

On 3/8/2023 at 3:39 PM, numisport said:

Of course you can buy slabbed coins and crack them out. Makes sense doesn't it. Without slabs Mr. Mishlers' proofs are certainly showing environmental damage though still appealing I'm sure. I take a slab for what it was intended to be. That would be an anti tampering device first then a protective device next and on down the list of its benefits you can go. Then go ahead if you want to handle your coins crack them out, TPGs would love to regrade them when the next generation gets hold of them. 

SLABS ARE NOT PROTECTIVE, PERIOD! Let’s stop that pernicious myth (lie)  right here and right now!

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/8/2023 at 4:35 PM, VKurtB said:

SLABS ARE NOT PROTECTIVE, PERIOD! Let’s stop that pernicious myth (lie)  right here and right now!

As for making my collection “accessible” to my heirs, both my wife and my only child are also Life Members of the ANA, and need no assistance to access what I might leave behind.