• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this $2 bill fake?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I have about 3 dz $2 bills and I was looking thru them this evening. I have one that is a little strange. I've never seen one that started with 3 letters for the serial number and not a letter on the end. Also, the back is a different color from all the others I have. Has anyone seen one like this before? It has some chinese stamps on it also. Fake?? I have it pictured here with a normal $2 bill.20230306_195435.thumb.jpg.0fb961aa3b2ec1599974b2bb20dab8d0.jpg20230306_195512.thumb.jpg.7ce799ae58e310b4cdf9519c684d48dd.jpg

The numbers are also a different font/style. The 3 the 2s and the 1 are all different from the normal bill.

Edited by Lem E

Doesn't matter what one calls it; it is a counterfeit $2 bill. Let Treasury know where you got it and who you got it from. They will notify USSS.

Edited by RWB

On 3/6/2023 at 9:18 PM, RWB said:

Doesn't matter what one calls it; it is a counterfeit $2 bill. Let Treasury know where you got it and who you got it from. They will notify USSS.

I have no idea where or when I got it. 

I can't believe I actually found one of these on ebay with this description. 

These were used in Asia to set up currency counting machines and to test them for functionality. Very rare to find and I haven't seen these listed for years. To be clear, this is not a genuine $2 Federal Reserve Note. It was printed in China with very high quality ink and paper.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:18 PM, RWB said:

This is a lot easier said than done.  My own experience has been they are promptly returned to the customer by the merchant or "check cashing" place to which it was passed.

The link provided by the OP is instructive in this regard.  It states in pertinent part that "it is not illegal for someone to simply possess the fake cash.  It becomes "unlawful" when they try to use it and pass it off as authentic currency for goods or services."

Regarding U.S. currency all of which, to my knowledge, is produced at the Bureau of Engraving and Printing plants in Washington, D.C. and Fort Worth, Texas, the following terminology may be instructive.

"Straps" are comprised of any denomination bundled together with colored band consisting of 100 notes.  A strap of 100 $1. notes would be worth $100. A strap of $100. notes would be worth $10,000.

A "brick is comprised of 40 "straps" containing 4,000 notes of any denomination.

And finally, a "cash pack" is comprised of 4 "bricks" containing 400 "straps" of 16,000 notes, of any denomination, which are shrink-wrapped in distinctive blue plastic by the BEP before being distributed to the 12 Federal Reserve Districts.

Rarely disclosed, and by way of example, 5 "cash packs" weigh 44 lbs. each, for a total of 220 lbs.,  regardless of denomination.  If they were comprised of 100-dollar bills, they would each be worth $1.6 million for a total of $8 million.