• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1892 20$ Gold opinion requested
1 1

13 posts in this topic

As you probably know, an 1892 (Philadelphia) double eagle is a scarce date with only 4,430 minted. The coin shown appears to be in or about Extremely Fine condition, which has a value of $8,250 to $9,500 in XF 40 in the retail price guides I checked.

I would want to have this coin authenticated by NGC or PCGS in case it is altered or counterfeit before making an offer.  There seems to be a curved disturbance below the eagle's tail, so it could be an 1892-S (relatively common date) with a removed mint mark, which would be worth bullion value. The coin may also have been "cleaned".  If you're just looking for a Type 3 Liberty double eagle as a type coin, you might want to buy a certified mint state example of a common date ($3,000 or so in MS 64) instead.

Just FYI.  This is is an Auction item at a very reputable auction house in Pensacola, FL.  They sell coins on a regular basis.  I have no affiliation other than I know the owner and have purchased several auction items in the past.

https://garthsonlineauction.com/Public/Auction/AuctionItems?  

Thank everyone for their input.  I am going to pass on the coin but if I can be of assistance, let me know. 

Chuck

On 3/6/2023 at 2:48 PM, Tigerbait said:

Thank everyone for their input.  I am going to pass on the coin but if I can be of assistance, let me know.  Chuck

Did they give you any more information on the coin...if they had it graded informally by a dealer, their estimate of the value, etc ?

1892 LH DE coinfacts.jpg

1892 LH DE obv coinfacts.jpg

I'm not as good with Liberty Head DEs as I am with Saints, but I'd be wary of buying that coin.  It looks a bit mushy on the strike but it could be circulation wear.

Wish they didn't place the coin on what looks like "rough" nylon......if not holdered, should be on velvet or something that won't scratch the coin.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:32 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Did they give you any more information on the coin...if they had it graded informally by a dealer, their estimate of the value, etc ?

1892 LH DE coinfacts.jpg

1892 LH DE obv coinfacts.jpg

Unfortunately, I do not have the answers to your questions.  Robert Garth is the owner and I am sure he would send more pics if you requested.  

A blue background combined with a gold coin and automatic color balance is a risky combination.