• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archive records concerning proof coins and medals

9 posts in this topic

The following volumes of correspondence have been digitized and are (or soon will be) available on NNP. These all relate to proof coin and medal orders. These were discovered amidst other documents and were not identified in any of the archive finding aids.

Each volume is 500+ pages.

It is believed that at one time similar volumes existed for the entire series of proof coins and medals beginning in about 1858. Additional volumes might turn up at any time.

RWB

RG104 E-6 Box 28 Vol 2 Jan 2 1885- Dec 27 1886-Medal Clerk

RG104 E-6 Box 28 Vol 4 Dec 27 1886- Dec 14 1887-Medal Clerk

RG104 E-6 Box 29 Vol 1 Dec 14 1887- June 16 1888-Medal Clerk

RG104 E-6 Box 29 Vol 3 June 16 1888- Mar 2 1889-Medal Clerk

Edited by RWB

On 3/6/2023 at 1:59 PM, RWB said:

Anyone want to guess the value in today's coin market?

Depending on the grades of the coins, I'd guess several hundred thousand dollars to upwards of $1,000,000. I'd expect a good chunk of the value is in the proof Morgans, given that they'd likely be fairly high grade and wonderfully toned. 

My educated guess without really looking at guides will be $415,000, assuming an average grade of around 66 with a few CAMs and DCAMs mixed in. 

Edited by FlyingAl

Until the early 1950s, these could be purchased for a couple of dollars each.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:51 PM, RWB said:

Yeah, me too...and maybe some of those gold proofs!

Like you always said, there were so few people who could afford them back then.  Even though rank-and-file collecting picked up in the 1850's, anybody spending a few dozen dollars a year collecting coins had to be wealthy, let alone 3 or 4 or 5 figures.