• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thursday at the ANA Phoenix show

15 posts in this topic

I used to live in Phonex metro.  I went to the ANA once but do not remember the year.

ANA was also the last show I went to, 2020 in Atlanta.  To the extent I am able to go in the future, I am going to make sure I attend the first day which in ATL I think was Thursday.  Need to make sure I am there at the opening to have the best chance to find what I really want before anyone else.

On 3/3/2023 at 12:01 PM, World Colonial said:

I used to live in Phonex metro.  I went to the ANA once but do not remember the year.

ANA was also the last show I went to, 2020 in Atlanta.  To the extent I am able to go in the future, I am going to make sure I attend the first day which in ATL I think was Thursday.  Need to make sure I am there at the opening to have the best chance to find what I really want before anyone else.

The last ANA show in Phx was over two decades ago.  I actually think it may have been pre 2000.

On 3/3/2023 at 2:34 PM, Coinbuf said:

The last ANA show in Phx was over two decades ago.  I actually think it may have been pre 2000.

It was a big show of some kind, somewhere around 2010 to my recollection but might have been earlier.  I lived there from late 2001 to mid-2011 with a gap over parts of 2004-2005.

On 3/4/2023 at 11:44 AM, J P M said:

I forgot to ask if you ran into KURT at the show ? I thought he was going to be there.

If so I was unaware of it.

On 3/4/2023 at 1:11 PM, Coinbuf said:

If so I was unaware of it.

I was at Dealer Registration on Wednesday,Thursday, and half of Friday. Then committee meetings. I only got to one vendor table - Allen Berman - where I bought some British and Swiss pieces. I’m into non-euro Europe. On Saturday, I was at the Message Center, mostly rapping with Cliff Mishler. Oh, I had a 💩fit at the Board of Governors meeting. They are seriously considering “anchoring” the August show at a single city. Worst. Idea. Ever. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/5/2023 at 7:45 PM, VKurtB said:

I was at Dealer Registration on Wednesday,Thursday, and half of Friday. Then committee meetings. I only got to one vendor table - Allen Berman - where I bought some British and Swiss pieces. I’m into non-euro Europe. On Saturday, I was at the Message Center, mostly rapping with Cliff Mishler. Oh, I had a 💩fit at the Board of Governors meeting. They are seriously considering “anchoring” the August show at a single city. Worst. Idea. Ever. 

Chicago - right

at least that’s what Cliff Mishler was talking about just before the security concerns arose. I doubt they’ll move away from Chicago.

Edited by Zebo
Add Further comment

On 3/5/2023 at 7:05 PM, Zebo said:

Chicago - right

at least that’s what Cliff Mishler was talking about just before the security concerns arose. I doubt they’ll move away from Chicago.

She (Shana Schmidt, Harlan Berk’s daughter) wants INNER CITY Chicago, as in McCormick Place. It’s literally an insane idea. If they do that, I’m OUT as a National Volunteer. Chicago is a huge pain in the butt. Why not Denver?

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/6/2023 at 6:58 PM, VKurtB said:

She (Shana Schmidt, Harlan Berk’s daughter) wants INNER CITY Chicago, as in McCormick Place. It’s literally an insane idea. If they do that, I’m OUT as a National Volunteer. Chicago is a huge pain in the butt. Why not Denver?

St. Louis or Kansas City would be better central locations. Of course, ANA continues to make excuses to avoid Washington DC (National Harbor - Just outside the city).

On 3/6/2023 at 9:15 PM, RWB said:

St. Louis or Kansas City would be better central locations. Of course, ANA continues to make excuses to avoid Washington DC (National Harbor - Just outside the city).

Never. Gonna. Happen. Literally never. They will never go where labor unions at convention centers are strong. 

On 3/6/2023 at 6:58 PM, VKurtB said:

McCormack place would have easy access and be close to Michigan Avenue, museums and the lake for shopping and restaurants. It would be further away from O’hare and Midway. I’m not crazy about inner cities these days, but…

What are your objections to McCormack Place? I would rather see it kept in the suburbs or entirely out of Cook County.

On 3/6/2023 at 10:40 PM, VKurtB said:

They will never go where labor unions at convention centers are strong. 

That leaves Orlando Out :( 

On 3/7/2023 at 8:14 AM, JT2 said:

That leaves Orlando Out :( 

Somehow, F.U.N. survives it twice a year. But, both from a Board AND a paid staff level, there is virtually no way we’ll ever see another ANA show east of the Appalachians. Pittsburgh IS east for the ANA. The last time they sent out RFP’s for future shows, only these cities even bid: Pittsburgh, Rosemont, Portland, Denver, Oklahoma City, and Salt Lake City. Nowhere else even wanted us to come to their city. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 3/7/2023 at 11:10 AM, VKurtB said:

Somehow, F.U.N. survives it twice a year. But, both from a Board AND a paid staff level, there is virtually no way we’ll ever see another ANA show east of the Appalachians. Pittsburgh IS east for the ANA. The last time they sent out RFP’s for future shows, only these cities even bid: Pittsburgh, Rosemont, Portland, Denver, Oklahoma City, and Salt Lake City. Nowhere else even wanted us to come to their city. 

I went the last three times in Atlanta: 2006, 2013, and 2020.  First coin show I went to was the Atlanta ANA in 1987.  Guess I am not going back, unless I happen to be there for another reason.  I was in NYC for the 2002 while on assignment for work.