• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Congratulations To RWB !!
2 2

16 posts in this topic

I think RWB has been on the list every year.? But yes Congratulations to Roger for being selected. :golfclap:

On 3/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

A few collectors are listed there, but I was surprised that Bob Simpson (identity known) and our friend EC (identity unknown) were not on the list.

I thought Simpson was on the latest list but could be mistaken. Maybe now that EC made the SGDE set public to view ATS, and if it is made available for public display, they will get some consideration. 

If there are others on that list who are here at the NGC Forums under codenames, please feel free to identify yourselves (if you wish to do so).  I don't know many people in the coin business/hobby, and I understand that many people under different "names" at CU were on the list so maybe there are some here at NGC similarly listed but unknown to me.

A bunch of NGC execs did make it, well-deserved.  People involved in the formation of the TPGs/CAC were also prominent.

On 3/3/2023 at 9:46 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Congratulations to our friend Roger Burdette for making Coin World's Top 100 Most Influential Coin People's ranking !! (thumbsu

https://reader.coinworld.com/mostinfluential/

I think this was first done in 2020, then they expanded it in 2022.  Not sure if it was mentioned 2 years ago -- I don't think I recall it -- so I wanted to note it now.

Roger was listed for his contributions via the RoAC series. (thumbsu   For those of you new here, Roger has been a voluminous poster/contributor to the Saint-Gaudens Thread based focused on his 2018 Saints book.

Not sure if others posting here are listed, I probably only know about 20% of these names (some of you probably know ALL of them xD ).  A few collectors are listed there, but I was surprised that Bob Simpson (identity known) and our friend EC (identity unknown) were not on the list.

Wasn’t this for 2020?  I just finished the survey for the latest survey just yesterday or the day before.

I did select Roger again.

Edited by Zebo

On 3/3/2023 at 11:06 AM, Zebo said:

Wasn’t this for 2020?  I just finished the survey for the latest survey just yesterday or the day before.

Yeah, but I think the list was re-done recently for 2022.  I just saw it posted on other sites and with a free digital link to check out all the people, figured I would post it.

I don't recall a thread on this 2 years or so ago so I figured why not. :)

On 3/3/2023 at 11:08 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yeah, but I think the list was re-done recently for 2022.  I just saw it posted on other sites and with a free digital link to check out all the people, figured I would post it.

I don't recall a thread on this 2 years or so ago so I figured why not.

What you probably saw was the nomination survey that was recently sent out. The voting ends on March 15th. The earlier survey was voted upon in 2021 for the first time. This years voting will be for 2023. It sounds like it will be an annual event now.

Edited by Zebo
Added content

On 3/3/2023 at 11:10 AM, Zebo said:

What you probably saw was the nomination survey that was recently sent out. The voting ends on March 15th. The earlier survey was voted upon in 2021 for the first time. This years voting will be for 2023. It sounds like it will be an annual event now.

...just what the hobby needs, another meaningless survey....

On 3/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, zadok said:

The heck with the survey, I think for someone like me it's good to know who alot of these people are since I haven't spent as much time or years in this field as many of you.  (thumbsu

The articles are pretty interesting, too.  I'm sort of surprised that David Hall was so negative on the possibility of computerized grading....he talks about the $1 MM they spent 30 years ago.  Today's 4K cameras plus AI GPUs and advanced CPUs have to have closed the gap.  It has for self-driving cars as we get closer there.

My god, they didn't even have the x486 chip from Intel I believe when they tried their computerized grading back then.  It's like comparing a Sony Trinitron to a modern 4K TV. xD

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 3/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, zadok said:

That's like saying Santa Claus doesn't exist! What the hobby needs is more attention whether it be by mere mention, articles, postings, surveys, scientific polls or elections. There is something in this hobby for everybody. Votes count!

On 5/13/2023 at 3:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

That's like saying Santa Claus doesn't exist! What the hobby needs is more attention whether it be by mere mention, articles, postings, surveys, scientific polls or elections. There is something in this hobby for everybody. Votes count!

I dissent! We need faaaaaar fewer YouTube video creators. That is certain.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:05 PM, VKurtB said:

I dissent! We need faaaaaar fewer YouTube video creators. That is certain.

It is indeed unfortunate that an influential and quite persuasive [and pervasive] instructional tool is being misused and leading collectors astray, but the same could be said for the internet, certain websites, the proliferation of scams, counterfeiters, TikTok, etc.  Unfortunately, not everyone is as qualified and as experienced as you are in identifying and  rejecting fraudulent presentations used by the "sucker is born every minute"-types using buzzwords and visual imagery to upbeat musical accompaniment.