• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mint errors/variety 50 Sen - Japan
1 1

5 posts in this topic

There are what appear to be a mint errors  known as Ren-Ten that are square shaped consecutive points on silver 50 Sen coins. They appear in three  places: 1. Near the crown of the dragon head, 2. Near the rear claws, 3. Under the sunlight of the rising sun. Although accepted by collectors, I have not seen these acknowledged by NGC as an error. I have just begun researching  and hoped someone may have additional information on the subject. Attached are 2 examples of these Ren-Ten. 27CBFD1B-9EFB-474D-83FA-7B425BA86748.thumb.jpeg.9a95edef13e7900cfaebaa39534549e3.jpeg

05A4E3A8-EB18-42A8-8D87-136386A1A24E.jpeg

Two observations:

One, my French 20-franc gold rooster series is riddled with "errors," including, but not limited to, new 1907 coins minted with old 1906 mottos, coins released for circulation after anti-counterfeiting devices were adopted and put into effect, varieties like "closed" nines in the dates of the last two years, and coins minted in 1921 and the 1960's, well after the "official" end of the series in 1914. They are commonly called "restrikes" but the French call them "redistributed" coins.  So how does one distinguish one minted in, say, 1907, from the ones minted decades later?  You'd sooner find out how many of the 117 million were surreptitiously melted.

To the point: how would I, a mere collector, persuade NGC to recognize such things when their country of origin refuses to do so? It is quite possible -- and this is true of world coins, generally -- no one wants to admit a mistake had been made, by whatever numismatic term or name used or known.

In fact, it is my privately held belief that the principal reason other countries have acquiesced to using the Sheldon Scale is to accommodate, first and foremost, burgeoning U.S. collector demand.

"Rin-tin-tin" older U.S. coin collectors have heard of, but "ren-ten"?  Never. Positively enlightening!