• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1909 possibly rare wheat penny
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I'm not proficient at identifying Lincoln proofs of this period (1909-1916) but your coin doesn't look like a proof to me.  It looks like a lightly circulated circulation strike, an AU.

If you really have what you think, send it in for grading but I don't think you will like the result.

Take a look at where the inner rim meets the fields. It should be a very sharp 90 degree angle. A normal cent will have more of a smoother rounded transition. That’s a good place to start.

On 2/25/2023 at 11:51 AM, Coinbuf said:

I would not be surprised if the mint used this die to strike circulation coinage once it had outlived its usefulness for proof coinage production.

Was that standard/allowed ?  I thought once the proof run was over, they'd destroy or remove the proof dies, however worn.

Maybe using worn proof dies to mint circulation coins was standard ?

On 2/25/2023 at 10:42 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Was that standard/allowed ?  I thought once the proof run was over, they'd destroy or remove the proof dies, however worn.

Maybe using worn proof dies to mint circulation coins was standard ?

Roger @RWB knows more about the die usage at the mint than I do, however, I seem to recall reading and seeing several instances where circulating coinage had all the proper markers of proof coinage and dies for some years/mints.   Again, not an expert but I think this was done when there was a shortage of dies or as a cost savings measure.

On 2/25/2023 at 12:35 PM, Coinbuf said:

Roger @RWB knows more about the die usage at the mint than I do, however, I seem to recall reading and seeing several instances where circulating coinage had all the proper markers of proof coinage and dies for some years/mints.   Again, not an expert but I think this was done when there was a shortage of dies or as a cost savings measure.

I agree. Some proof dies were used for circulating coinage. With that said, the OP coin is not an actual matte proof. 

On 2/25/2023 at 12:42 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I thought once the proof run was over, they'd destroy or remove the proof dies, however worn.

This is a somewhat different topic, but at times in the past dies used for proofs were subsequently used to strike circulating coins.

In the nineteenth century, for some coins with low circulation strike mintages, the same dies that were used to strike proofs were used to coin some or all of the circulation strikes. The 1880 Shield nickel is a notable example in which a single die pair is said to have been used to strike all proofs and circulation strikes. (I do not know why grading services purport to be able to tell well circulated proofs and circulation strikes apart or why collectors pay high premiums for such purported circulation strikes.) 

From 1956 through 1964, proof quarter dies, which employed "Type B" reverses, were apparently repurposed to strike circulation strikes, which for some of these years form a substantial minority of the Philadelphia mint circulation strikes.  There are also a number of circulation strike 1958 and 1959 Philadelphia Franklin half dollars that feature the "Type 2" reverse used on most 1956 proofs and all 1957-63 proofs.  Many uncirculated examples of these quarters and half dollars that I have seen have somewhat prooflike surfaces on both sides, suggesting that both sides were made from retired proof dies.

I don't know whether any research has been done to determine whether any dies used to strike 1909-16 matte proof cents were also used to coin circulation strikes of those dates, which attract much less attention because they are so common. @Kerrykz's coin could conceivably lead to such research.

I'm no expert on Lincoln Proofs, but it could always be possible that a matte proof somehow got accidentally put into circulation. I once got a statehood quarter proof in my change at a McDonalds drive through window. Not likely, but not impossible scenario either.

In the 19th century proof dies might or might not be used for several years, depending on how they looked, A few were turned over to circulation coinage - but there's no consistency. When 20th century matte  proof cent and nickels dies were sandblasted they were used only for proofs. They deteriorated early due to surface damage from quartz particles chipping off steel which, in turn, abraded the die surface. In 1913 Barfber complained of this caused by the original rough texture on Buffalo nickel dies. (BTW - The "square rims and field to rim junction" were present on all dies. The extra pressure of a medal press caused the dies to fill completely (or should have).

Edited by RWB

Maybe I’m high or something, but isn’t the whole WAM and CAM business in the 1990’s about using proof reverse dies for circulation cents?

On 2/25/2023 at 5:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

I'm no expert on Lincoln Proofs, but it could always be possible that a matte proof somehow got accidentally put into circulation. I once got a statehood quarter proof in my change at a McDonalds drive through window. Not likely, but not impossible scenario either.

There are tens of millions of proof SQ.  How many MPL?  Somewhere around 20,000?  It's also been over a century since the last one was struck and all of them are worth real money while proof SQ isn't worth much of anything.  Someone might have intentionally spent the proof SQ.

The inside rim is sharp, but the outside rim is beveled. It’s not unusual for Lincoln’s made for circulation to have sharp rims, both inside and out. 
MPL rims

41F590E6-B71A-42BA-A58C-80098B0636EB.jpeg.0c10909f5c04ecdcc0b88cd21dd03771.jpeg0A692A00-B6D0-4A8D-AA77-67F7AB432B4C.jpeg.05c4c215bf487314b5dd1030dd8332c4.jpegD1E80D80-F2F7-4F45-A12B-B718710A97EC.jpeg.3c0f1c0ec25392982efb1f3375157120.jpeg27966A80-6C9C-4FE3-BA55-F731FA59D750.jpeg.daec270a9aa9a0b71e5ffd2576590030.jpeg

One thing not seen are any of the known diagnostics for the 1909 proof  

9E7BD0F3-3E93-4E12-AE1A-7AB1F05FAC46.jpeg.56363b9a418463c630ee5e176c0c8da9.jpeg

Edited by robec1347
Add photos

On 3/4/2023 at 10:03 AM, Kerrykz said:

Okay. Had it looked at... so it is a circulation strike. But the reverse was made with the mpl #2 die.  

That's very interesting. Who made this determination?

Didn't ask permission so not going to drop a name... 

Your coin appears to have been struck from the reverse die used in minting the 1909 MPL 1c Die #2. It is recognized by the doubling on the top of the T and E in united. This does not give it Matte Proof status. 

Your coin is well circulated and I can't match it to the obverse die that was used to strike the 1909 Matte Proof Die 2. Die 2 has die lines in the field between Lincolns eye and the rim of the coin. "see the image above" There is no sign of any die lines on the obverse of your coin in the location as shown, like the image above.

I have to call your coin a Mint State example that has been circulated. Not having the coin in hand also hinders my abilities to further attribute.

On 3/4/2023 at 7:36 AM, Kerrykz said:

Didn't ask permission so not going to drop a name... 

Your coin appears to have been struck from the reverse die used in minting the 1909 MPL 1c Die #2. It is recognized by the doubling on the top of the T and E in united. This does not give it Matte Proof status. 

Your coin is well circulated and I can't match it to the obverse die that was used to strike the 1909 Matte Proof Die 2. Die 2 has die lines in the field between Lincolns eye and the rim of the coin. "see the image above" There is no sign of any die lines on the obverse of your coin in the location as shown, like the image above.

I have to call your coin a Mint State example that has been circulated. Not having the coin in hand also hinders my abilities to further attribute.

Having the doubling in the top of the T and E isn’t proof your coin is struck from Die #2. I’ve seen high grade MS 1909’s in CoinFacts that have these two markers. A couple of things that sets them apart from actually being struck from Die #2 is they are missing the die scratch inside the C of CENT as well as the die scratch under the right leg of the M in UNUM. In order to have been struck from the MPL die it would have to have these markers as well.