• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Error coins in sealed state quarters proof set

6 posts in this topic

Spoiler

I’m curious to anybody’s opinion I have a state quarters sealed proof set. All five obverse images have this going on with all the lettering.  Some of the coins have it on every letter some of the coins have it only on a few letters. The reverse sides are normal like proof coins. So I have a few brief questions

1. How do five different coins exhibiting this let alone one make it into a single proof set given the strict QC process to producing proofs and packing sets . 
2. I’ve had a few people say it looks like class IV strike doubling as proofs are struck differently and hand fed and inspected. Ive had others say ddo and machine doubling in one . Then again proofs are struck differently… I plan to send this set to ngc for error grading . Any opinions on  what to call this error? I can absolutely find nothing on any other proof sets like this. 

3. I will be submitting for my personal collection regardless of error type due to the uniqueness of never seeing this on any other proof coins . Has anyone else seen this ? Would this set be attributed a discovery if there are none others? 
thanks for anyones time and opinion 

136AE20B-9E50-411B-87BF-BFD781D24F8E.jpeg

BD616FF4-8E1D-4FCB-A868-CB7529A0C76D.png

I think that it is unlikely that NGC would give an error or variety designation to multiple images at different levels that appear to have been due to looseness of the dies in the press. "NGC does not attribute as varieties coins that display Strike Doubling, Abrasion Doubling, Die Deterioration Doubling, Master Die Doubling (doubling that is found on all coins produced from that master die), insignificant die chips, breaks or cracks, or any variety coin that falls under mint tolerances for doubling or normal die wear."  See Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com) for additional information, including a similar statement regarding mint error designations. I agree that this appearance is unusual on a modern proof coin, and it would be really strange if multiple coins in the same set that were struck with different die pairs all featured it. It might be of greatest interest to some if kept in its original packaging.

From what year is this State Quarters proof set?

This topic was posted over two days ago, and mine is the first response. Does anyone on the forum have any different or additional input?

State quarter proofs were struck twice in a special press that restricted movement between blows. (Interval was about 0.05 sec., but I might not have remembered that precisely.) The photos show clear displacement which points towards problem with the press mechanism or planchet control in the press. (I have not examined modern US Mint equipment or practices in detail, so can;t be or further help.)

Edited by RWB

Looks like classic worthless doubling, almost like the mint put out a MD proof set.

The first pic with what looks like excessive chatter is interesting, as it appears to display multiple MD traits. How many times does the U.S. Mint strike proof coins, twice?

EDIT: Just saw RWB's reply. Thanks!

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

Welcome Sir Shep III. Good photos .I have to agree with the others it looks like a double press MD    I also want to point out that a proof coins field in a plastic holder will show a reflection that makes the devices look more dramatic than they really are. I have many proof sets that if you tip them back and forth the doubling will disappear.