• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Isabel II Spain 4 Reales 1858, PR or PL?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

Although your photos don't make the coin appear to have been struck as a proof or even prooflike, it does appear to be prooflike in the video. Have you done any research to determine whether any actual proofs were reported struck of this issue? If so, you should compare it to photos of known proofs.

The obverse scratches, especially the one in front of the queen's face, might preclude a numerical grade. The best numerical grades I think it could receive, based on U.S. grading standards, would be MS 62-63 PL or, PF 62-63 if determined to have been a proof strike.

Thanks for the replies. I too can't find any that were proofs or were listed as proof, but I did find this sale that NGC determined to be PL. Although it is a different obverse design.

I'm going to try collecting this 1852 to 1868 registry set of 4 reales. 

The scratch to the obverse I'm pretty sure is not large or deep enough to warrant a details grade, I'll send it in and see. 

I agree with somewhere around MS62 or MS63 with a PL designation hopefully. Also, I'm wearing gloves as I don't like to put fingerprints on my coins, even holding them at the very edge can cause the smallest fingerprints as your fingers overlap. (albeit in the video I had my left hand exposed as I was operating the camera, oh well.) Yes it makes me look like Michael Jackson! But whatever :P

https://coins.ha.com/itm/spain/world-coins/spain-isabel-ii-4-reales-1853-ms64-prooflike-ngc-/a/3082-34788.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

On 2/19/2023 at 12:06 PM, Tobias J Reily said:

Also, I'm wearing gloves as I don't like to put fingerprints on my coins, even holding them at the very edge can cause the smallest fingerprints as your fingers overlap. (albeit in the video I had my left hand exposed as I was operating the camera, oh well.) Yes it makes me look like Michael Jackson! But whatever :P

You will leave no fingerprints on the coin if held properly and your hands are clean and dry. In the video you seemed very near to dropping the coin, had to handle it with your bare hand anyway, and if you think just because a person is wearing a cotton glove the coin can't be damaged or that oils can't be transferred (especially if reused) think again. Do you think NGC graders are wearing cotton gloves?

Good luck with the submission, I agree with 62-63 PL if it straight grades.

I can't login right now, what did the HA coin sell for?

"Proof-like" is a result of ordinary die use and repair. "Proof" is specific process using different die treatment and coin manufacture. The photos show little of the first and none of the second.

On 7/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, Tobias J Reily said:

RWB, did you look at the video? It absolutely looks proof like. 

...fret not...his is not the final say on this or any other coin, just his own opinion based on his arbitrary determinations many of which r not accepted by the numismatic community...ur coin certainly meets what i personally agree appears to look like what the collecting n grading community currently refers to as "proof-like"...fortunately, numismatic determinations r not dictated by any one individual, most r a dynamic evolving process n not always decided by methodology, in coins its the "what" not the "why" that has the final say...branch mint proofs in US coins r a prime example, they r not "supposed" to exist but u know one when u see one....

On 7/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, Tobias J Reily said:

RWB, did you look at the video? It absolutely looks proof like. 

Yes. Obv is nice; rev is questionable. Since a PL has to have both sides PL, then it does not qualify. However, in-hand examination might produce a different opinion.

Edited by RWB

On 7/9/2023 at 4:40 PM, zadok said:

...fret not...his is not the final say on this or any other coin, just his own opinion based on his arbitrary determinations many of which r not accepted by the numismatic community...ur coin certainly meets what i personally agree appears to look like what the collecting n grading community currently refers to as "proof-like"...fortunately, numismatic determinations r not dictated by any one individual, most r a dynamic evolving process n not always decided by methodology, in coins its the "what" not the "why" that has the final say...branch mint proofs in US coins r a prime example, they r not "supposed" to exist but u know one when u see one....

Ooh, wait. What if somebody’s surreptitious activities are not documented and deposited in a government archive? :roflmao:“Absence of evidence” proves absolutely NOTHING. In fact, all it implies a little bit is “evidence of absence”. Many things are true without a shred of documentation. Everyone serious knows that, especially when people do things they should not be doing. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 7/10/2023 at 7:59 PM, VKurtB said:

Ooh, wait. What if somebody’s surreptitious activities are not documented and deposited in a government archive? :roflmao:“Absence of evidence” proves absolutely NOTHING. In fact, all it implies a little bit is “evidence of absence”. Many things are true without a shred of documentation. Everyone serious knows that, especially when people do things they should not be doing. 

...exactamundo....