• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

US Coin 30th anniversary walking liberty with double lettering on the edge-3

14 posts in this topic

It is doubling but a different kind. I think it is more like Die Deterioration Doubling. There are no split serifs everything is just shifted to one side

Can we see the whole coin please?

Edited to say I see what you’re talking about but I would have to see another one for comparison. Very cool 😎 

Edited by Buffalo Head

On 2/15/2023 at 11:40 AM, RWB said:

Please don't start multiple threads on the same subject....there are now 4 of these things.

;)

you asked for photos, it was not possible to get the good photos on to one listing, it wasn't that I was trying to open three threads I was trying to provide the information requested

On 2/15/2023 at 7:00 AM, J P M said:

It is doubling but a different kind. I think it is more like Die Deterioration Doubling. There are no split serifs everything is just shifted to one side

Based on your experience, would you send this coin to NGC or not. Its a nice doubling and I haven't seen it before so I'm wondering if I should get it registered?

On 2/15/2023 at 2:51 PM, FrederickMorris said:

Based on your experience, would you send this coin to NGC or not. Its a nice doubling and I haven't seen it before so I'm wondering if I should get it registered?

Absolutely NOT!

On 2/15/2023 at 3:51 PM, FrederickMorris said:

Save your money it is a worn out die.  When you want to edit  a post use the three dots on the top right corner for ( more options )

This is collar struck onto the coin, not from a separate roller die. There was a little wiggle in the collar. Please man, this is the kind of junk that keeps overamping the “every darned thing is a valuable error” crowd. Please stop it! All you are doing with your little group of 20-something’s is misinforming them. There are too many like that appearing here already. Most “errors” are not. Yours are among the “not” category. 

The faint secondary image looks a lot like "strike doubling" on a coin's obverse or reverse, which is common and not considered valuable. Like strike doubling, it was likely created through a single impression of the edge lettering dies. In comparison, the doubled edge lettering on 2007-P John Adams Presidential Dollars, which resulted from coins being run through the edge lettering dies twice, looks like this (NGC photos):

2007_02_1b_tb.jpg

2007_02_1a_tb.jpg

I doubt that NGC or other grading services would consider the type of doubling on the edge of your 2016 Silver Eagle for attribution as a mint error or as a die variety. Generally, "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins [such as] those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. The determination of what constitutes a mint error is at the discretion of NGC."  You are welcome to seek out and collect them if you find them interesting and to seek out other collectors who share your interest.  

On 2/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, FrederickMorris said:

you asked for photos, it was not possible to get the good photos on to one listing, it wasn't that I was trying to open three threads I was trying to provide the information requested

All you need do is reply to your own post. That will allow you to put more photos in the 2nd post, and do it again if needed. All you photos will be in the same thread, and much easier for members to view and comment.

Fred, what did you think this coin was worth ?  Didn't you find it unusual that you would be lucky enough to have a valuable coin ?

How long have you been collecting coins or showing an interest in them ?  Or was this all just a few unique coins that  you happened to find ?

On 2/16/2023 at 1:06 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Fred, what did you think this coin was worth ?  Didn't you find it unusual that you would be lucky enough to have a valuable coin ?

How long have you been collecting coins or showing an interest in them ?  Or was this all just a few unique coins that  you happened to find ?

It’s the most common thing of all among beginning and/or casual numismatists - delusion. They simply are incapable of separating the wheat from the chaff.  By the way, for those who might not know, this edge lettering appears in 2016 on the proofs (including those in the Reagan Coin & Chronicles Set) and the burnished uncirculated versions, but not the bullion strikes. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/15/2023 at 6:59 PM, Sandon said:

The faint secondary image looks a lot like "strike doubling" on a coin's obverse or reverse, which is common and not considered valuable. Like strike doubling, it was likely created through a single impression of the edge lettering dies. In comparison, the doubled edge lettering on 2007-P John Adams Presidential Dollars, which resulted from coins being run through the edge lettering dies twice, looks like this (NGC photos):

2007_02_1b_tb.jpg

2007_02_1a_tb.jpg

I doubt that NGC or other grading services would consider the type of doubling on the edge of your 2016 Silver Eagle for attribution as a mint error or as a die variety. Generally, "NGC does not recognize as mint error coins [such as] those with minor die chips, breaks and rotations, etc., that fall within our interpretation of mint tolerance. The determination of what constitutes a mint error is at the discretion of NGC."  You are welcome to seek out and collect them if you find them interesting and to seek out other collectors who share your interest.  

THIS picture is what doubled letters look like, NOT what the OP has posted.