• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1952 & 1953 Superbird Quarters

13 posts in this topic

They look like proofs but the SuperBird  FS-901 looks like a S This looks like a upside-down L . Can you also show the whole coin obverse and reverse please.

Edited by J P M

This should have been posted on the original thread for this topic. You'll learn. 

As stated, we can't assess your claims without seeing full photos of each side of each coin.  We can't tell if any is dated 1953 or isn't a proof!  The magnified photos you've posted do appear to be of the "Superbird" variety, but I can't tell whether they're from different coins. Based on the photos, the fields appear to be mirrorlike, suggesting that they are proofs.

Either I don’t know where to look, or I see nothing. I see a little something on the first, but it’s too low. On all three the lighting is omnidirectional (LED’s all the way around), and hence is useless. Also, digital sharpening is on and is creating bogus pixels. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/15/2023 at 7:42 PM, VKurtB said:

You want lint? I got a dryer full of it. I have cats. 

Do you also have a microwave? Problem solved.

;)

On 2/16/2023 at 9:53 AM, RWB said:

Do you also have a microwave? Problem solved.

;)

So then you’re crawling in?

The so-called "S" is on a single feather near the center of the eagle's breast.  It is present on each of the photos. It appears in each case to be from exactly the same die as the 1952 "Superbird" proof.  Refer to my NGC VarietyPlus photo on the @FrederickMorris's originally posted topic on this issue. I'm still awaiting his photos of each full side of each coin to verify that there is one dated 1953 and to get a better idea as to whether they are proofs or circulation strikes.

I've never thought much of this variety and wouldn't pay a premium for it myself, but there are likely those who would, especially if it's on a previously unknown date or format.

On 2/16/2023 at 5:12 PM, Sandon said:

I'm still awaiting his photos of each full side of each coin to verify that there is one dated 1953 and to get a better idea as to whether they are proofs or circulation strikes.

Good luck with that, I'm still waiting to read if the star the OP's first post on this forum is incuse. doh!

On 2/16/2023 at 8:40 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Good luck with that, I'm still waiting to read if the star the OP's first post on this forum is incuse. doh!

“Vee vill be askink ze qvestionss!”