• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WOW!! What a price for a 1957-D Lincoln Cent

12 posts in this topic

Someone really wanted that 91 point registry score bump badly. Or, maybe they just wanted the prestige of owning one of the finest graded examples. I wonder, though, if there are more out there waiting to be made. A price like that might just set folks looking for gradable examples in rolls and mint sets.

The term a fool and his money are soon parted comes to mind.   I guess that sounds like I'm judging, and in a sense I am.   I have no issue with how anyone collects or what they collect, but anytime you pay top dollar for a condition rarity you are setting yourself up for a future disappointment when a new top pop gets made.   I know this from experience, and I know that there are tons of coins like this out in the wild sitting in folders and albums (or being cooked up right now), it's only a matter of time before the population swells and the price falls.  If you are prepared for that outcome and willing and able to take the hit, all is well, but...

Edited by Coinbuf

On 2/13/2023 at 1:11 PM, Simple Collector said:

Based on other auction results the price on this example is the lowest one for the date and mint in their RB description. Actually, it seems the only one having the 67+RB so designated by NGC. There have been others auctioned with the designation 67+RD. 

There are only two at this grade none higher at NGC, MS67RB is the highest at PCGS, and this is the only one with CAC approval.   The other MS67+RB is also up for auction at GC and closes this coming weekend.   I'm guessing it will sell for $200-$300 without the CAC approval bean, neither coin is very attractive to my eye, but that is a different subject.

Sometimes the bidding gets crazy and just keeps going .I see many a coin going way above what any normal human would pay. Some people have a lot of money to spend.

On 2/13/2023 at 4:01 PM, Coinbuf said:

There are only two at this grade none higher at NGC, MS67RB is the highest at PCGS, and this is the only one with CAC approval.   The other MS67+RB is also up for auction at GC and closes this coming weekend.   I'm guessing it will sell for $200-$300 without the CAC approval bean, neither coin is very attractive to my eye, but that is a different subject.

In MS67+RB you are correct. In MS67+RD PCGS coin sold on Heritage for $6,600. on 12/15/22. It also is adorned with the CAC sticker.