• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are your thoughts on this coin?

15 posts in this topic

I shop for the older graded Commemorative's all the time and many of them look like there was never any quality control on the strikes. It is almost like it was more important to get them done and over with and out of the basement. I bet this is being sold as a MS64.  

Pass.  I’m not crazy about the surfaces as they look lackluster.  The little amount of toning that is there is not that attractive, either.

Edited by Walkerfan

Counterfeit coins, including die struck ones, are often identified by the presence of lumps or other raised areas that don't appear on the genuine pieces. I recall reading that the "spark erosion" process of creating counterfeit dies usually results in depressions on those dies that appear as lumps on the counterfeit coins.

As you may know, I do not relish the thought of passing judgment on other members' coins, but now that you've disclosed it's counterfeit, one more comment won't hurt.

All of the other comments, notwithstanding, there is only one thing about it that irks me: the suggestion, coincidental and unintentional, of an apostrophe in STATE'S. I find its perfect placement to be a distraction.

Not to take you away from your long-standing obligation to monitor the Forum's longest running thread, but what was it about this coin in particular that prompted you to acquire it? You know what I collect, and why. I am just curious.

On 2/14/2023 at 7:50 PM, Tigerbait said:

Fascinating stuff.  I'll be extra wary when looking for Panama coins.  Used to live there.

It is not a Panama coin. The coin (the real one) was struck at the US Mint as a Panama Canal commemorative coin.

Edited by MorganMan

I thought this thread was dead but I'll add a bit more. Fifty something years ago I became good friends with a local dealer. I'm sad to say he passed about 10 years back. We had a lot of fun. When the shop was really busy, I would help out behind the counter. Some days he would ask me to just hang out as a customer and help with security. The shop was always buying large collections. I had the fun of sorting and putting anything of real value in a proper holder. I got first shot at some really cool coins but there was much I could not afford at that time. 

My dealer friend had a nice collection of counterfeits that were not for sell but he trusted that I would never put them on the market as real. The OP coin came in the shop with a bunch of junk silver. It was easy to decided, it was a modern counterfeit. I believe I gave about $5 for the coin.

I took the coin to Fun a few years ago for a friend to image. Some cool folks looked at the coin but we never understood if it was cast or struck or both.