• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Medal detector find
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 2/12/2023 at 12:16 AM, Coinbuf said:

That is a very cool find!   I'm sure he was super excited when he found it, very nice even in that condition.

He was very excited. Hes been going out almost everyday he gets a chance and searching. He probably found $10 worth of change in the past month. Maybe more. That was his oldest find. The rest was more modern. He found 1 wheat cent also. Cant remember the exact date but I remember it was in the 50s. Just a common one. I enjoy seeing kids getting into hobbies like that. He wants to start coin collecting. Ive got a few raw coins Im gonna give him. A Morgan and a couple buffalos. That may help him get a start. 

On 2/12/2023 at 4:18 AM, l.cutler said:

Nice, that one didn't see much circulation before it was lost!  Silver comes out of the ground pretty clean, at least in my area.  Copper gets pretty nasty though.

Very cool find.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:18 AM, l.cutler said:

Nice, that one didn't see much circulation before it was lost!  Silver comes out of the ground pretty clean, at least in my area.  Copper gets pretty nasty though.

My area is quite diverse in its soils. There are geological boundaries all over the place. In the valleys there is red soil, probably iron-rich. But the higher elevations are chalky crummy looking stuff that challenges grass growth. I wonder how coins would do here. From reading the roadside signs, it seems there’d be lead slugs all around. Lots of battles near rivers and streams. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 2/14/2023 at 8:27 AM, VKurtB said:

My area is quite diverse in its soils. There are geological boundaries all over the place. In the valleys there is red soil, probably iron-rich. But the higher elevations are chalky crummy looking stuff that challenges grass growth. I wonder how coins would do here. From reading the roadside signs, it seems there’d be lead slugs all around. Lots of battles near rivers and streams. 

Or soils are the same way. We got red clay, rocky soil, rich fertile soil, swampy mud, and other types soils. The place where he found that was in their yard in an elevated spot with good drainage. Its dark loose soil also. May be why it was preserved as well as it was. 

I was sure happy for the little guy. I think I was more excited than he was. And he was pretty excited. He didnt really know what he had. To bad I couldnt have caught him before he brushed it. It may have cleaned up nice conserved the proper way. 

On 2/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I was sure happy for the little guy. I think I was more excited than he was. And he was pretty excited. He didnt really know what he had. To bad I couldnt have caught him before he brushed it. It may have cleaned up nice conserved the proper way. 

Yep. That coin would have gone AU58 easily if not damaged. Worth ~$500

On 2/14/2023 at 8:50 PM, Hoghead515 said:

It was more than likely pitted bad enough from being in the ground a long time that the brushing of the dirt would not have made enough of a difference. 

Edited by J P M