• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG 1945-S Walking Liberty

23 posts in this topic

A Wild guess, AU55.  With my track record, that means it's probably MS63. Nice coin either way. ---  Thanks for posting this and the last few, liven it up a little around here.

Edited by RonnieR131
Thank you

Im gonna say MS65. Just from what I can tell by the pictures. Im not the greatest but these post like this are very educational for me. Helps me learn how different coins are graded from each other. 

The toning doesn't look to me what grading services usually find to be "original", so the coin may have been graded "Unc. Details, Artificially Toned" (NGC) or "Unc. Details, Questionable Color" (PCGS).  I'm not sure from the photos whether the coin has some light high point wear or is just weakly struck at Liberty's hair and hand and the eagle's breast, as 1945-S WL half dollars frequently are. My grade range if the coin was numerically graded would be either AU 58 or MS 62-63. (I'll never give just one grade, as I'm convinced that there are simply too many grades that are too hard to tell apart!)

Edited by Sandon

I know people like this kind of toning, but I don’t. So not my thing. I would never want a coin like this. 

On 2/11/2023 at 12:20 PM, VKurtB said:

I know people like this kind of toning, but I don’t. So not my thing. I would never want a coin like this. 

Thank you for sharing. I'll post NGC's opinion later this evening. 

Edited by ldhair

I'm somewhat surprised by the high grade, as based on the holder style and low serial number, NGC certified this coin in its early, conservative grading standard years. The toning and luster are probably more attractive than the original photo suggested to me. I still suspect that the toning would be regarded as "artificial" if the coin were resubmitted today.

On 2/11/2023 at 9:46 PM, Walkerfan said:

Luster looks much better in the slab shot and fields are relatively smooth. Color looks very natural to me. MS 66 might be a little high but it is definitely a gem.  Great coin and I own three of them.  An MS 66 NGC, an MS 66 PCGS and MS 65 NGC CAC.

here is my NGC 66 for comparison:

2261685_Full_Obv.jpg

2261685_Full_Rev.jpg

This is my preferred look for Walkers. Not that the heavily toned one isn’t a legit 66. It is. It’s just not my preference. Both are magnificent in their own way. I just prefer this. 

On 2/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, ldhair said:

That's my goal. I hope others will also start creating new threads. 

A most laudable and unfortunate invitation.  🤣