• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

GTG 1840 Half Dime
1 1

14 posts in this topic

I'd give this nice coin a grade range of AU 55-58, as there is very light wear on the high points on both sides. A few days ago, I posted a photo of my 1838 graded MS 65 on the "Post Your 5 Cent Pieces" topic. I like the "No Drapery" half dimes, dimes, and quarters, which feature Gobrecht's original Liberty Seated design concept. 

EF or possibly a real AU depending on amount of abrasion. The photo does not seem to show anything that would prevent normal grading.

On 2/9/2023 at 6:36 PM, VKurtB said:

The band who did “Rock the Casbah”???

LoL  Not quite.... but there is a clash mark on the M of Dime on the reverse. I think it adds a little extra to a already nice piece

I was close on this one at AU 55-58, perhaps because I own a high grade (MS 65) 1838 and know what the high point details look like on a truly uncirculated coin of this (1837-40) design.  As I recall, in 1980, when the ANACS certificate was issued, the only widely recognized AU numerical grades were 50 (typical) and 55 (choice), with 55 usually being the equivalent of "58" or (unfortunately) sometimes low mint state today.  The "55" grade is correct by today's standards.