• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1983 Copper weight 3. Is this worth anything other than a penny
1 1

36 posts in this topic

How accurate is your scale?  A 1983 copper cent would be quite valuable, but I don't think that is what you have here.  There are pretty obvious plating bubbles on this coin.  First thing to do would be to get an accurate weight.

I appreciate your concern about this coin normally I post a coin with so many experts on this chat there opinion is mostly spot on  in your case you said you think I’m going to the coin shop today to settle this matter I purchased a accurate scale to hopefully you wrong just for the sake of coin the coin world because someone can dream and hope to found one just the same I appreciate you opinion but in the future try to also include the possibility of this being the one thanks also I weigh a 1981 on the same scale and it’s was 3 g  the last photo is  a 1983 D 2gCDB02F1D-AEA7-45D0-85DD-1FAB12C6F7DA.thumb.jpeg.96e040eebdb814d329527e14c81b204c.jpeg

4C3D8BC4-7B9E-4D1A-A003-EEC38F720719.jpeg

Edited by bobbyboshay

On 2/9/2023 at 6:02 AM, bobbyboshay said:

I purchased a accurate scale

The scale in the images is not nearly accurate enough to determine weight with, you need a scale that will be accurate to at least 1/100 of a g. You need to throw that scale out and get a new one. You're really just making things harder on yourself by trying to use it. 

You most likely have a zinc cent that weighs between2.5 and 2.6 grams, which is within tolerance of mint specs, that the scale rounded up. 

You all are correct but if that the case why didn’t the 88 2 g or the 81 3 gor the 85 2g read then. The 83 should have read the same as the 85 same  all zinc is 2.5 g can you round that explanation and since you all have the knowledge you don’t seem so sure yourself  so wait for the results to come in I will post it  thanks for your expertise for helping the coin world to be educated 

Edited by bobbyboshay

On 2/9/2023 at 6:36 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

You need to throw that scale out and get a new one.

That's my line!  Or buy another one of those scales and throw them both out.  :insane:

I started out with a cheap 0.01g accuracy scale which needed frequent re-calibration of the scale and sometimes gave me weights that didn't make sense.  So, I threw the cheap one out and spent a little more on a Smart Weight small laboratory/jewelry grade scale that was still under $40.

It has a 3 decimal place or 0.001g accuracy, and came with multiple calibration weights to do a very precise sequential calibration.  It also has a slightly depressed area where you place the coin that's larger than any standard coin, so there is no way for the coin to accidently slide off the scale.  I have been using it for quite a while without any problems.

Scale.jpg.42fb7eeaee6321a7d5f936d030e2a693.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/9/2023 at 7:37 AM, bobbyboshay said:

You all are correct but if that the case why didn’t the 88 2 g or the 81 3 gor the 85 2g read then. The 83 should have read the same as the 85 same  all zinc is 2.5 g can you round that explanation and since you all have the knowledge you don’t seem so sure yourself  so wait for the results to come in I will post it  thanks for your expertise for helping the coin world to be educated 

This guy is irredeemable. 100% wishcraft. 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:43 AM, Coinbuf said:

As the others have said your scale is not giving you an accurate weight.   You have a normal zinc cent this is proved by the look of the coin and the plating bubbles I see on the rev, you are chasing unicorns and rainbows.

Numismatics, child style. If I can dream it, it’s true. 

On 2/9/2023 at 5:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Peoples probably tired of hearing it from me but Im gonna say it again. I put alot of the blame on these You Tube videos telling people to check their pocket change. A few other sources also. Telling people they can be found. When in reality Id take my chances on hitting the powerball. Ive actually seen some of those videos before urging people to check their pocket change and listing the unicorns to look for to become a millionare.  Im not saying that you shouldnt check your change. I always search mine for different things. Ive found a couple cool minor die clashes over the past few years in my change. The point Im trying to make is these videos are getting peoples hopes up. Actually making them think its possible to run down to the 7-11 and get one back tomorrow. I know people like to dream, but you also need to learn to accept reality at the same time. 

It comes from a uniquely American brain damage when it comes to probability. Some people think all probabilities are .5 - either a thing will happen or it won’t. The corollary (also 🐂💩) is that I’m as likely to find the next one as anybody else. No, no you’re not. You’re simply delusional. Get help. 

On 2/9/2023 at 5:59 PM, JKK said:

I see your point, Hog, but nothing relieves them of the duty of critical thinking. If it were that easy to pick riches out of our change, or off the pavement in the parking lot, wouldn't us active collectors all have f-bombed off to the Caymans? We definitely wouldn't be spending our time on a message board fielding semiliterate wishful thinking inquiries. Even a rudimentary level of applied intellect could discern that--if it were applied.

The fact that we are here, and that you're not fishing and hunting about 300 days a year, and I'm not living on a Kansas ranch that is beautiful but is never going to make any money while spending my days bidding in ancients auctions, and Kurt's not putting up a huge neon sign ordering all kids off his lawn just because he can, is testimony to the fact that the strike-it-rich thing is buffalo bagels. Critical thinking would tell them that. If they haven't learned it, well, they're big boys and girls and shouldn't need to be told how to adult. Adulting is work, which is partly why so many people just try and opt out of it.

At 66 and a few months the gummint gave me two choices - retire or try to start from scratch again at that age. Yeah, like I was gonna risk having some completely stupid  GenZ type as a boss. No frickin’ thank you. I retired. 

On 2/9/2023 at 8:37 AM, EagleRJO said:

That's my line!  Or buy another one of those scales and throw them both out.  :insane:

I started out with a cheap 0.01g accuracy scale which needed frequent re-calibration of the scale and sometimes gave me weights that didn't make sense.  So, I threw the cheap one out and spent a little more on a Smart Weight small laboratory / jewelry grade scale for under $40.

It has a 3 decimal place or 0.001g accuracy, and came with multiple calibration weights to do a very precise sequential calibration.  It also has a slightly depressed area where you place the coin that's larger than any standard coin, so there is no way for the coin to accidently slide off the scale.  I have been using it for quite a while without any problems.

Scale.jpg.42fb7eeaee6321a7d5f936d030e2a693.jpg

Avoid excessive flatulence with these. Breezes can cause the readings to bounce a lot. 

Look at the coin all these opinions no one mentions anything about the rim alignment with that being said I appreciate everyone opinions but did anyone with there predictions look at the alignment no because no one interest in the coin but concerned about the coin not being real I want you to give a opinions on the coin not worrying about it the one help the community with others issues with the coin who care if it the one or not keep in mind it’s just a Penny 1 cent uno that’s all so when you express giving information look at the coin and talk about it not how much someone don’t know this and that did you ever think I don’t have the answer that why I posted so with that said since all the coins Guru said it’s not the one can we talk about other issues going on with the coin since you took the time out to use some much Brain energy up on nothings tried to find something about the coin other then the weight so the community can learn thanks to all the high priest for you expert opinion  wow all this conversation over 1 cents it’s a Penny guy  

On 2/9/2023 at 6:25 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Peoples probably tired of hearing it from me but Im gonna say it again. I put alot of the blame on these You Tube videos telling people to check their pocket change. A few other sources also. Telling people they can be found. When in reality Id take my chances on hitting the powerball. Ive actually seen some of those videos before urging people to check their pocket change and listing the unicorns to look for to become a millionare.  Im not saying that you shouldnt check your change. I always search mine for different things. Ive found a couple cool minor die clashes over the past few years in my change. Nothing special but I dont expect to find anything special. The point Im trying to make is these videos are getting peoples hopes up. Actually making them think its possible to run down to the 7-11 and get one back tomorrow. I know people like to dream, but you also need to learn to accept reality at the same time. 

I completely agree, particularly with not finding coins that have much value roll/change hunting. 👍 It can be interesting with a healthy dose of reality when you think you hit one only to turn the coin and see it isn't', or to find things like say a spitting eagle which is cool but not valuable.

There seems to be a lack of basics with some, like what exactly are errors and varieties, with a healthy dose of reality on probabilities.

Edited by EagleRJO

I agree with @Lem E on the mis aligned die. If you start doing very much roll hunting you will start finding several of those. They are very common like he said.  Also once you get a little more experienced you will be able to tell if a coin is zinc or copper just by the look of it without having to look at the date to tell the difference. Before I read your post as soon as I seen the coin In the picture I knew it was a zinc cent worth only 1 cent.  You will be able to also as you grow more into the hobby and learn what to look for. Dont let it discourage you. Its fun to roll hunt and look for more common varieties but I wouldnt get my hopes up on finding a major transitional error. Those are like 1 in a billion odds. This hobby is definately not a hobby to get into if you want to get rich. You can still have alot of fun searching for W quarters, die clashes, and things like that. Also putting sets together is fun. Like full sets of the state quarters, etc. Its actually a hobby that will have you spending alot of money if your not careful. Very addictive collecting. 

Edited by Hoghead515

It will also help us to help you out if you put a period or two in there every once in a while. Im not trying to be mean or nothing but I had to read that 4 times to try and figure out what your trying to ask help on. Its very hard for us to read. We can help you better if we can read it. 

On 2/9/2023 at 9:47 PM, JKK said:

I'm over it. When you can't pose a question with fewer periods than a Golden Girls reunion, your writing is illegible and you show zero respect for your readers. In such a case, there is no reason for the readers to bother.

Thats was longest run on sentance Ive ever seen in my life. lol Took me a while to decipher it. Most of it anyways. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 2/9/2023 at 7:38 PM, bobbyboshay said:

no one mentions anything about the rim alignment

This is because the rim alignment is not of value. 

Finally we getting opinions about the coins Thanks to the community who gave positive information instead concerning about of money issues and acting like English teachers unbelievable how people are so concerned about  spell checking  instead of giving comments about a penny I will said this I will not post the results of the coin after placing on the proper scale because the people are so busy trying to be Guru instead of sharing information to the community  thanks to all the positive people for your opinions the other people don’t you have responsibility of your own to worry so much about a penny  I not trying to hit the lottery with a coin I asked for information  in life Guru money is not important then breathing fresh air and drinking water and hopefully seeing tomorrow with that said  who really cares it’s just not worth posting anything on here with so many negative people peace ✌️  also here a  🍎  to all the English teachers for the spell checking you earn the 👩‍🏫 Miss Crabtree  Award 🥇 

Edited by bobbyboshay

On 2/9/2023 at 10:21 PM, bobbyboshay said:

a  🍎  to all the English teachers for the spell checking you earn the 👩‍🏫 Miss Crabtree  Award 🥇 

For the record, Miss Veronica Crabtree was the bus driver (not the English teacher).  Mr. Herbert Garrison was the English Teacher.  Just sayin'.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist