• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1800 Peru Cuzco 8R Standing Liberty

5 posts in this topic

I’m new to collecting Spanish Dollars and have one in particular I can’t find history on. Makes me wonder if it’s a fake coin. I’ve used the digital library at http://numismatics.org/digitallibrary/ark:/53695/nnan75697 and can only find this coin being minte in the 1820’s and the ones dated 1800 are those with a figurehead on the front rather than the standing liberty. Questions where can I find the history for this coin? Are there any examples of this exact coin being sold? Could this be a fake?  Help the research on this one is driving me mad. 

D3A955EB-B641-4C4E-A5AA-110509603421.jpeg

00C49FC4-6D26-4E1A-B521-6381A5954E07.jpeg

E3E93B81-3C09-49CC-B82B-25085BE6757D.jpeg

As Peru was a Spanish colony until 1821, no coins could have been issued in the name of the Peruvian Republic in 1800!  The NGC World Coin Price Guide indicates that an 1800 Peruvian 8 reales coin had the bust of Spanish King Charles IV on the obverse and the Spanish coat of arms on the reverse. The later dated coins of the design on yours are sharper, smoother and usually more finely engraved. Your coin has the appearance of a cast counterfeit. 

Although I'm not an expert on these coins, it would appear that this is a counterfeit or "fantasy piece", whether of nineteenth century or more recent origin.

On 2/3/2023 at 9:45 PM, Sandon said:

Your coin has the appearance of a cast counterfeit.

Agreed. 

On 2/3/2023 at 7:45 PM, Sandon said:

As Peru was a Spanish colony until 1821, no coins could have been issued in the name of the Peruvian Republic in 1800!  The NGC World Coin Price Guide indicates that an 1800 Peruvian 8 reales coin had the bust of Spanish King Charles IV on the obverse and the Spanish coat of arms on the reverse. The later dated coins of the design on yours are sharper, smoother and usually more finely engraved. Your coin has the appearance of a cast counterfeit. 

Although I'm not an expert on these coins, it would appear that this is a counterfeit or "fantasy piece", whether of nineteenth century or more recent origin.

That’s not good. I had it tested at 90% silver so it’s just scrap?