• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My First Purchase of 2023 - 1794 C5a (R.4) Half Cent

23 posts in this topic

On 2/3/2023 at 4:30 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I do not have a large coin collection. Still, I made a promise to myself that I was not going to buy coins that did not align with my collecting goals. Despite seeing many beauties at several local/regional shows this year, I walked out empty handed. This was very challenging for me, because I can be easily seduced by the neat, cool, or just beautiful coins. The money starts to burn a hole in my pocket, and I can get impulsive and start to rationalize buying coins without purpose. However, I know that even smaller purchases can push my coin goals beyond reach... so, I successfully resisted and I am glad I did.

Your description is my philosophy too, except that I am not tempted to make random impulse purchases and the primary reason I don't is the reason you gave.

I'm not rich and my primary interest requires my entire coin budget.  The vast majority of collectors don't like to collect this way, but it's the only realistic option for most to complete anything that is an outlier from what most collect.

Nice coin, by the way.  Definitely good surfaces for the type.

Thanks everyone... I am waiting like a dog at the door for the mailman today.:whistle:

@RWB  I love the thought-provoking insight.  I have bee reading From Mine to Mint and making a list of questions.  I am holding them till the end, as they may be answered in the text.  But, as I read that book and think about this coin... those are the fun types of ponderings that result.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:10 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Congrats on the NEWP! :golfclap:I really like this one.

Don't love it too much! As long as you don't handle it like Hugo did his pet bunny "George" you'll be ok. xD

Thanks @Fenntucky Mike.  I have a dent in my chest from hugging the holder.  George was president when it was made.  Coincidence?hm

On 2/4/2023 at 11:38 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

The coin arrived... I opened it right away, and I am thrilled with it. The pics are good in representing the wear, but the color is very even and smooth. It is obvious that this coin has been loved throughout its life, and has been brushed when it needed it. It's better than I thought it would be. :cloud9:

That is awesome, sounds like one that you will really enjoy owning and viewing.

If you, or anyone else, want some fascinating page flipping, go to the NNP website and  look for NARA Philadelphia Entry-1 Box 002 1792-1817 Warrants. Here's the first page of warrants.

2.thumb.jpg.92fe8213aadec44ab0adba943538c4a4.jpg

The Warrant Journal shows purchases of materials, supplies, horses, horse food, copper, iron and steel for making dies and machinery, guard dogs, skilled and unskilled labor, and on and on. A glance through just this first page offers some new words to search for: perches, scantling, castings, warrant....Then there's figuring out use of the archaic "long-s" that looks like an "f" without the crossbar....How were firebricks made out of clay, etc? This journal might be one of the single most fascinating volumes in American numismatics -- and your little half-cent is, and came from, the very heart of the period, events and people.

Edited by RWB

On 2/4/2023 at 8:32 PM, RWB said:

Then there's figuring out use of the archaic "long-s" that looks like an "f" without the crossbar...

During my elementary years I cooked up my own unique, I thought, penmanship. I tried to consolidate pen strokes to a min., the "S" shape became the base structure for my "slursive" letters S,F(with cross bar) G (lower case), and so on. My teachers were not impressed, but I continue to use that letter structure to this day. I have very unique penmanship, nearly illegible, but I write fast. 😆

Edited by Fenntucky Mike

My penmanship is illegible without having to invent new letter forms. Of course, there is always Icelandic which uses some of the archaic letters

Majuscule forms (also called uppercase or capital letters)
A Á B D Ð E É F G H I Í J K L M N O Ó P R S T U Ú V X Y Ý Þ Æ Ö
Minuscule forms (also called lowercase or small letters)
a á b d ð e é f g h i í j k l m n o ó p r s t u ú v x y ý þ æ ö
Edited by RWB