• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 P nickel identifying error

4 posts in this topic

Need help identifying this coin? I do believe this is a true mint error. I looked on different websites and couldn't find information. There is a raised image from the t in monticello all the way through monticello building. What is this error called? Ty

20230203_083656.jpg

20230203_083625.jpg

20230203_091904.jpg

Welcome to the forum, as you say this is raised it cannot be a strike thru as that would be incuse on the surface.  So most likely it is a die gouge or linear die dent, both are forms of damage that occurred to the die during the production run.

This would be considered a minor error or quality control issue and wouldn't likely be attributed by a grading service. Contrary to what you may have seen on the internet, it's highly unlikely that you will find significant errors or varieties in circulation.  If you enjoy collecting such pieces, you are welcome to do so!

On 2/3/2023 at 9:23 AM, EBFliberty said:

Need help identifying this coin? I do believe this is a true mint error. I looked on different websites and couldn't find information. There is a raised image from the t in monticello all the way through monticello building. What is this error called? Ty

20230203_083656.jpg

20230203_083625.jpg

20230203_091904.jpg

Another beginner long on magnification and short on knowledge about what matters in this hobby. In short, yet another victim of YouTube.