• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Results 1964 D
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Well first, as already noted there is no such thing as an SMS coin from the Denver mint, so that is strike one.    Second you are searching for something that does not exist in the wild at all.   The only 64 SMS coins came from the estate of the mint director in 1964, unless you have one of those estate coins with the proper paperwork to substantiate the provenance (hint all the coins from that estate have been certified) you cannot have a 1964 SMS coin, strike two.   And third the coins that have been certified as 1964 SMS coins (not everyone in the numismatic community agrees with these certified coins being called SMS) look noting like your coin, strike three.

I would suggest that you do more due diligence before you submit coins, (that does not mean following the misguidance you find on youtube), even a basic search here on this forum and you would have found the information that I typed above.

Getting the PL designation may help you breakeven on this coin, but relying on luck over knowledge when submitting coins is a bad recipe.

No 1964 Special Mint Sets were ever made by the US Mint. They and the supposed coins from them do not, and never did, exist.

Coins being touted as 1964 SMS are simply early strikes off new dies....a situation which occurs every time dies are changed in every year in every denomination.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:01 AM, Lem E said:

The SMS coins were struck in Philly with no mintmark.

...and only dated 1965, 1966 and 1967.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, RWB said:

No 1964 Special Mint Sets were ever made by the US Mint. They and the supposed coins from them do not, and never did, exist.

Coins being touted as 1964 SMS are simply early strikes off new dies....a situation which occurs every time dies are changed in every year in every denomination.

And here you see the hot button issue mentioned by Lem E above. Roger and many other writers claim they do not exist. However, Jeff Garrett, of Red Book fame, insists they do. You choose. I know enough to know I don’t know. 

Jeff has no evidence -- except money paid by the gullible - for these there are no documents except the ones where the mint director gave the Smithsonian fresh coins off new dies that year,  as was done almost every year. The only controversy is how simultaneously greedy and ignorant can some "professionals" in this business get.