• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1986-D Lincoln Cent - New DDO Found?
1 1

9 posts in this topic

I came across a 1986-D Lincoln Memorial that had doubling on the date (and perhaps an RPM). I've checked the various resources I know to see if this is a known variety/error and have been unable to locate similar examples. Take a look and tell me what you think or if you've come across anything similar. Thanks!

IMG-1940.jpg

IMG-1941.jpg

IMG-1942.jpg

1986 D Lincoln 1C - DDO on Date - 20230202.JPG

1986 D Lincoln 1C - DDO on Date 2 - 20230202.JPG

I've been familiar with the machine doubling but I've not seen as much separation that is exhibited in this coin on a machine doubling. Usually it is just a ledge extending off one side. The "8" especially may have tricked me. 

On 2/2/2023 at 10:08 AM, Drick6sy19 said:

I've been familiar with the machine doubling but I've not seen as much separation that is exhibited in this coin on a machine doubling. Usually it is just a ledge extending off one side. The "8" especially may have tricked me. 

I found there is no listing for a 1986 D to reference to  here http://www.varietyvista.com/01b LC Doubled Dies Vol 2/DDO listing.htm

On 2/2/2023 at 9:59 AM, Greenstang said:

The mm can't be repunched as it was part of the original die and not hand punched.

As I recall, the U.S. mint still hand punched mint marks into dies until about 1991.  However, I can't see a repunched mint mark on this coin, which has die deterioration doubling as stated by Greenstang.  Some of the copper plating appears to have flaked off near the mint mark, as sometimes occurred with this thin, sharp mint mark style.

On 2/2/2023 at 10:11 AM, Drick6sy19 said:

@J P MYeah, I looked there and http://lincolncentresource.com/doubledies/doubledies.html to see if this was a known issue and didn't find anything.

This is quite funny because I was just looking at bunch of Denver cents last night for one of my coin books and a1986 D that looked just like this showed up I had to do a double take also.

That is because the cause is DDD, not MD. They are two different types of doubling. DDD is caused by the metal flow on a worn die, not  the bounce that you get on MD that causes the step. MD can occur on a new die whereas DDD cannot.