• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can We Get More Prices Added for (Modern) Coins ?

4 posts in this topic

Alot of coins don't have ANY price.  I don't know what the exact algorithim is that produces the NGC PRICE GUIDE VALUE but ANYTHING is better than NOTHING.

Many of them are on my 1 ounce silver coins (Eagles, Brittanias, Pandas, other foreign 1-ouncers).  At a minimum...you have a 1 ounce silver coin....you know the price of silver in recent days/weeks....use that as a starting point....tack on maybe 10% or 20% for a 69 grade and maybe 30% or 40% for a 70....another tack-on fo a PF than an MS grade....and maybe a bit more for PL or DMPL or UCAM or whatever.

I'm not expecting accuracy to within 5-10%, I'd settle for 30-50%.  Just get something in there.  And having a total for all the coins would be useful, too, for those of us who aren't registry kingpins but just want to keep track of our coins and the approximate (even if low-balled) value.

I would think that today, with computing power and databases that you can access, that this shouldn't be a big job for a good software programmer.  My nephew who is a coder said it's a very simple and inexpensive job for popular bullion coins, compared to a rarely traded foreign or ancient coin or some obscure U.S. commemorative or something.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

For many of these coins there may not be a sufficient number of reported transactions to establish a price.  Prices are established by amounts that are actually agreed to by willing buyers and sellers in the marketplace, not by "fudge factors" such as you are proposing!  

On 1/30/2023 at 12:20 PM, Sandon said:

For many of these coins there may not be a sufficient number of reported transactions to establish a price.  Prices are established by amounts that are actually agreed to by willing buyers and sellers in the marketplace, not by "fudge factors" such as you are proposing!  

There MUST be some transactions for these coins as they are sold on eBay all the time.  But regardless, they're graded bullion coins....even if you just give it the current price of silver that's better than nothing.  The "fudge factors" I cited I think are very easily inputable to a price formula.

I realize that the registry wasn't created for inventory reaons but this is a really simple fix that could make the NGC App and NGC products more user-friendly to the many new novices that have entered in the last 3 years.

Again, I know the basic range for most of these coins depending on the price of silver so it's not like I'm completely lost here.  Actualy sales prices are available but the "fudge factors" are already done for other price guides/charts/values on other websites for NGC and other companies.

In the scheme of things, not a critical problem but given the ease of the solution I figured I'd ask. (thumbsu

Edited by GoldFinger1969

• Administrator

Hello.

Prices displayed in the NGC Registry are pulled directly from the NGC Price guide. Please email your comments and questions to kstoutjesdyk@NGCcoin.com, our senior Price Guide expert, for feedback. Thank you.