• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Old Islamic gold coin

7 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 4:48 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the Forum

Clear photos of both sides will be required before any one can help you.

Also provide the diameter and weight to two decimal points.

These are the coins I have in hands I have the Roman coin I think it’s for slolidus, and it’s about 1000 coins 

and the Islamic one is for queen arwa sulayhi from Yemen 

and the last I couldn’t I dentify it 

I have more than 2000 gold coins 

can you pls tell me how much they worth 

7437E061-0E0D-4965-B6E1-BFEB297C5770.jpeg

5B6FD911-EECD-4B0D-9C8C-87D551D20A29.jpeg

D1AAA4CB-0D30-4D24-A2D8-98B51B0F1D79.jpeg

509403E2-9CB7-42ED-9659-DC26EC3F5660.jpeg

Very few of us are knowledgeable about ancient gold coins and Islamic (?) gold ones at that.

I would start with an accurate count of the number of coins....then I would ask for the aggregate gold weight (that's your floor, if you sold them all as bullion).

Assuming they are legit and not fakes....and assuming their condition merits a numismatic premium.....yes, you could have some nice value there.  Judging from the pics above, the coins in the picture look to be much smaller than 1 ounce....maybe 1/5th of an ounce or something like that.

There are foreign coin auction sites and other coin auction sites that certainly would have auctioned off coins of this type -- raw or graded -- which you can eventually seek out once you determine the basics (legit or fake, number of coins, weight and size of coins, date or location, etc.).

Seek out a reputable auction company (AH Bladwin & Son) that has past experience with Byzantine and Islamic Caliphate coinage. The ones in the group photo appear that be dinara.

Try this site for starters. https://www.vcoins.com/en/coins/world/islamic-1806.aspx

Retail prices are about $400 to $1,400, but there are limited collectors due to language and the "boringness" of many issues. Fakes are abundant.

Here is a genuine UMAYYAD, TEMP. AL-WALID (AH 86-96 / 705-715 AD), Gold Dinar being sold by Baldwins for about $1,300.

Image1.thumb.jpg.a742986622cdfd55776ef71d5e5135a8.jpg