• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver Trime

27 posts in this topic

On 1/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, Sandon said:

While the Treasury referred to them as "trimes", the public, per the Encyclopedia, called them "fish scales"! 

Interesting historical tidbits.  Also, they apparently were called "fish scales" as at 14.00mm they were the smallest US [silver] coin (a modern dime is 17.91mm for comparison), so that a few worn trimes laid on a counter gave the appearance of the scales on a fish. ;)

Edited by EagleRJO

When I casually look at 3-cent silver pieces, many of them are noticeably bent. Yes, some nice ones remain, but a lot of disassembled type sets of casual collectors have bent 3CS’s.  

On 1/31/2023 at 10:02 AM, EagleRJO said:

at 14.00mm they were the smallest US coin

Actually, Type 1 gold dollars (1849-1854), were the smallest in diameter at 13mm.  However, the three cent silver pieces at 0.75 gram for the Types 2 and 3 (0.8 gram for the Type 1) are certainly the lightest and based on observation certainly the thinnest!

On 1/31/2023 at 12:49 PM, Sandon said:

Actually, Type 1 gold dollars (1849-1854), were the smallest in diameter at 13mm.

You are correct.  That was a typo and should have read smallest US silver coin.

On 1/31/2023 at 1:15 PM, bsshog40 said:

Ya these are some very small coins. I have no idea where I got mine. Only one I have and not in very good shape. I have 1851 written on the 2x2 but not really sure of the date. 20230131_120629.thumb.png.8702f04bfc980ce247522bb14d94b7a3.png20230131_120334.thumb.png.11c4350956e20b76b94eab3bcdac70e5.png

A number of those on a counter in a pile could actually look like "fish scales". :bigsmile:

On 1/30/2023 at 2:43 AM, EagleRJO said:

I came across a coin I hadn't noticed before, which is called a Silver Trime

It was and is called a "three cent piece" or "three cent silver." Trime is a modern aberration not used contemporary with the coin. (It sticks to the teeth like oily cheap peanut butter.) :)

The failed silver coin worth 20-cents was called a "twenty-cent piece" and never a "double dime" -- except, in the first proposed 20-cent piece in 1806-7 it was officially called a "double dime."

On 1/31/2023 at 8:57 PM, RWB said:

It was and is called a "three cent piece" or "three cent silver." Trime is a modern aberration not used contemporary with the coin. (It sticks to the teeth like oily cheap peanut butter.) :)

The failed silver coin worth 20-cents was called a "twenty-cent piece" and never a "double dime" -- except, in the first proposed 20-cent piece in 1806-7 it was officially called a "double dime."

According to the Red Book the term "Trime" was used by the US Treasury Dept. and the table where I saw that was from ANA based on US mint records.  It's a pretty unusual name for a coin, which is why it stuck out like a sore thumb in that ANA table.

Breen's Encyclopedia (p.272) states that Mint Director James Ross Snowden invented the "neologism" "trimes" and admits that the term "hardly got into use outside coin-collecting circles, if there."  Collectors usually refer to them as "silver three cent pieces" or "three cent silvers" for short.  The 1865-89 copper nickel three cent pieces are sometimes referred to as "three cent nickels".

Snowden did not invent it. The word appears, if I remember correctly, in one of his routine letters then vanishes. A search of my database shows nothing. Breen has no references for his statement, we cannot check it and are best to put it where Breen put his other valuables.

;)

On 1/31/2023 at 10:52 PM, EagleRJO said:

According to the Red Book the term "Trime" was used by the US Treasury Dept. and the table where I saw that was from ANA based on US mint records.  It's a pretty unusual name for a coin, which is why it stuck out like a sore thumb in that ANA table.

ANA has never been known for accuracy or much scholarship. The term was not used by Treasury - they used the official name as presented in the enabling legislation. Same for the 1875 20-cent.

PS: The official legislative name is also why the Morgan dollar was routinely called "standard silver dollar" in mint and Treasury documents.

Edited by RWB

Its actually listed in the table as "Trime (Silver)" under it's own heading.  I think they could have just listed it as "Three Cents (Silver)" considering there is a separate heading in the table for "Three Cents (Cu-Ni)".

On 2/1/2023 at 3:09 PM, RWB said:

Snowden did not invent it. The word appears, if I remember correctly, in one of his routine letters then vanishes. A search of my database shows nothing. Breen has no references for his statement, we cannot check it and are best to put it where Breen put his other valuables.

;)

Eww. 

These were often used for cheap jewelry by drilling a hole near the edge, and tying them on a silver wire or silver thread. (I once had a small bag of 100+ holed pieces. When cleaned and strung together they made nice gifts for girlfriends.)

There was a period when the Treasury refused to accept or redeem these while accepting all the older copper and CuNi cents. The Post Office put up a bit of a stink because they had piles of these things taken in for postage, but not paid out. (The public did not like them any more than they liked the dollar coins.)

Edited by RWB

On 2/2/2023 at 11:50 AM, RWB said:

I once had a small bag of 100+ holed pieces. When cleaned and strung together they made nice gifts for girlfriends)

100, wow! You must have been going thru girlfriends like c.rap thru a goose.  (:

Edited by EagleRJO

On 2/2/2023 at 1:28 PM, EagleRJO said:

100, wow! You must have been going thru girlfriends like c.rap thru a goose.  (:

Each bracelet took about a dozen of the little "silver fish scales" so it all worked out.

I paid 25 or 30 cents each for them as junk from dealers, but I got a lot of value for the money and the girls had a really different looking piece of jewelry.