• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975-d Jefferson nickel high mint mark

3 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @Sschmidt30,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the photos of your coin. While your coin is super neat, we cannot identify or authenticate any coins via photos. Coins must be submitted and evaluated in hand by our grading team. If you would like to submit your coin, you can find instructions here: How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com)

If you have any other questions, please let us know. Thank you!

I seem to recall there being two different varieties with the mint mark placed next to the "5" like that. (A "high D" and a "higher D" ? Or maybe a "high D" and a "not-so-high D"?)

The one that NGC has listed as FS-401 is the higher of the two, I believe. It appears to match your coin. This one actually did bring a premium at one time, since it was also listed in the Red Book. It may, still - I do not keep up with these.  I am not sure how many collectors would want to buy one as beat up as that one, but it is pretty cool to find one in the wild. Do some looking on Ebay at sold certified examples, and you should be able to tell if it would be worth the money to have yours graded.