• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942 quarter DDO
1 1

6 posts in this topic

• Administrator

Hello @xycwered,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing the photos of your coin. I cannot identify or authenticate a variety for a coin via photos. Coins must be submitted and evaluated in hand by our grading team. I can suggest an article that may help you determine if your coin is a double-die or machine doubling: Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

If you would like to submit your coin, you can find instructions here: How to Submit | NGC (ngccoin.com).

If you are interested in having the coin evaluated for a variety designation, be sure to take a look at the NGC-recognized varieties here: Countries | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). If you believe your coin will qualify for a VarietyPlus designation, you can add the VarietyPlus service to your order on your submission form. 

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

As NGC isn't offering opinions on coins without them being submitted, you should post inquiries of this sort on the "Newbie Coin Collecting Questions" or "U.S., World and Ancient Coins" forum.  

Based on your photos, your coin appears to exhibit "strike doubling", which results from a die being slightly loose in the press when the coin is struck, as opposed to "die doubling", which results from the die being produced from a "hub" (die-making die) that was shifted in position between blows, resulting in doubling on all coins struck from that die.  In strike doubling the lighter secondary images are shallower than the primary image ("step-like"), as it is on your coin.  On a coin struck from a doubled die, the two images are about equally deep and sharp. Unfortunately, coins with strike doubling aren't actively sought by most collectors and usually don't have much value over coins with no doubling.

NGC VarietyPlus shows two 1942 DDO varieties, neither of which resembles your coin.  See Washington Quarters (1932-1998) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com).  I understand that NGC generally won't attribute a variety that isn't listed on VarietyPlus.  I wouldn't submit this coin, as you would have to pay the grading ($23 or more), attribution ($18) and processing ($10 per order) fees, as well as shipping and insurance costs, and almost certainly receive it back from NGC graded as a regular 1942 quarter.

Yes, a coin can have both a DD and MD. A DD is on the die itself so every coin struck will show the same DD. MD is caused by looseness in the collar so it is a completely different thing.

Also remember that not all DD are recognized by the graders.

While it is possible that a coin can have both strike and die doubling, the secondary image above the "T" is in much lower relief than the primary image and appears to be strike doubling.  I assume that your reference to "variety 1942-016" is to an old Fivaz-Stanton ("FS") number, but I see no such number listed for 1942 under VarietyPlus (so NGC probably wouldn't attribute it) or my Fourth Edition of the Cherrypickers' Guide, which lists both old and new numbers. I assume that newer editions of the Cherrypickers' Guide wouldn't list new varieties with old numbers.  From what reference is this variety?  

If you remain convinced that this is a doubled die, it's a very minor one that probably wouldn't be worth much of a premium.  If you still want to have it certified, you may want to try ANACS (www.anacs.com), which more comprehensively attributes die varieties and doesn't require a paid membership for submissions.