• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Reason To Photograph Your Coins -- Toning, Spotting, & Other Changes

35 posts in this topic

Damn, Roger… you've got me jumping through hoops today.

When I first considered placing gold — any kind of gold — in a puzzle box, I wondered how to safeguard the gold from the hazards that might exist from the wood of the puzzle box.  Before even buying my first rare gold coin, I had considered little gold bars.  Learning about gold, I became aware that much more value could be placed in a small volume with rare gold coins.  I considered a US gold type set — knew nothing about slabbed coins, not even their existence — and when my first rare gold coin came in, I couldn't find a way to open the PCGS slab.  I contacted the dealer, and he told me DO NOT TRY TO OPEN THE SLAB!  I asked, "Is this the way it is done?" He answered back, "Yes."

Still, I liked the idea of gold coins in a small space, and I pursued the notion of cracking the coins out of their slabs, and I even ordered one gold coin in a 2 X 2, from one dealer, which I later sold back when buying something else.

I pursued a parallel path on how to store the gold coins, ordered various sizes of polyethylene bags and AIR-TITES.

image.thumb.jpeg.8403dc3569336f05ef0d60688f99eab2.jpeg

Look at the grain of those balsa wood double eagles!  Have you ever seen more beautiful balsa wood double eagles coins in your life!!!

While doing these "fit" and "sizing" experiments, I recalled that I had ordered one large 6 SUN YAMANAKA HIMITSU-BAKU puzzle box the year before, I tested the fit of the PCGS holder in it, and decided I would keep my gold coins holdered, after all.

With all these polyethylene plastic bags that I had, 100 of them, and seeing how coin holders would get nesting chatter marks, I decided to make interleaves to go between each holder.

These plastic bag interleaves do not have PVC as their polymer chains are derived from petroleum, and I know that all of my interleaves are from this one 100 BAGS 3x4 2MIL quantity because there are only 20 new ones remaining in the bag they came in.  So, when I did the X-Acto cutting of the interleaves, they all have dimensions less than the 3x4 bags.

image.thumb.jpeg.563188d03b47890ea51b51c6189ab99c.jpeg

I was mistaken when I cited sandwich baggies, earlier.

Coin Armour Corrosion Intercepts are also polyethylene, by the way.

On 2/9/2023 at 1:23 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I think we worry a bit too much at times about storage and the like.  It's a metal, not a vacuum-sealed room dealing with the Ebola virus or Andromeda Strain. xD

C’mon, maaaan. Check out all the verdigris we see on copper. It’s CLEARLY the same stuff as Andromeda Strain. 

After many painstaking hours today, finally managed to take iPhone pics that match photos of pics I took two years ago.

These pics will be for the two coins I "rotated" back to how they were when I first received them.

Have to put in one more day on this, to get everything "exactly perfect," as Bob Weir used to say.

Got my coin photos uploaded.

I'm only happy with 1 of the 4 images, so working further on the remaining 3 by taking new photos, and still have to edit them.

Realized that for the reverse sides, I should have photographed them upside down and then click-rotated them when editing.

There are many tricks to all of this… part of the learning curve and fun.