• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help IDing a Japanese coin???
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hi Folks...

I've tried a few websites but haven't been able to ID a Japanese coin I would like to submit for grading. Any help would be appreciated.  Images are attached.

Thanks!                                                                                                                                

Japanese20Sen01.jpg

Japanese20Sen02.jpg

Edited by justbuywhatyoulike

On 1/23/2023 at 1:09 PM, justbuywhatyoulike said:

Hi Folks...

I've tried a few websites but haven't been able to ID a Japanese coin I would like to submit for grading. Any help would be appreciated.  Images are attached.

Thanks!                                                                                                                                

Japanese20Sen01.jpg

Japanese20Sen02.jpg

Nice looking coin, but I don’t understand something. Without knowing what it was, you already knew you wanted to submit it for grading? Run that thought process by me, if you would. Sounds like a cart before a horse somewhere. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/24/2023 at 2:11 PM, VKurtB said:

Nice looking coin, but I don’t understand something. Without knowing what it was, you already knew you wanted to submit it for grading? Run that thought process by me, if you would. Sounds like a cart before a horse somewhere. 

I thought it was a great looking coin, I had a rough idea of the age and I like my coins slabbed. No real mystery. 

On 1/24/2023 at 4:27 PM, justbuywhatyoulike said:

I thought it was a great looking coin, I had a rough idea of the age and I like my coins slabbed. No real mystery. 

So we’re talking about a coin worth about 8 bucks retail in MS60, which this one likely isn’t, and you’re going to spend north of $35 getting it graded? Again, I don’t get it. It’s not just you. Don’t take it personally. I NEVER get this. Now as part of an exhibit on pre-war Japanese coinage, maybe. But even then, a capsule would do nicely. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/24/2023 at 3:16 PM, VKurtB said:

So we’re talking about a coin worth about 8 bucks retail in MS60, which this one likely isn’t, and you’re going to spend north of $35 getting it graded? Again, I don’t get it. It’s not just you. Don’t take it personally. I NEVER get this. Now as part of an exhibit on pre-war Japanese coinage, maybe. But even then, a capsule would do nicely. 

Out of curiosity…why does it matter to you?  I NEVER get why people have to comment on something that was never asked about. All you’ve done is come in to criticize my intent for a coin that I would like to get graded and was hoping to get information on.  I didn’t come in asking for help with grading or to ask for financial advice.  
In response to your commentary, it is not for a Japanese memorial. It does have to do with a deceased relative though. 

On 1/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, justbuywhatyoulike said:

Out of curiosity…why does it matter to you?  I NEVER get why people have to comment on something that was never asked about. All you’ve done is come in to criticize my intent for a coin that I would like to get graded and was hoping to get information on.  I didn’t come in asking for help with grading or to ask for financial advice.  
In response to your commentary, it is not for a Japanese memorial. It does have to do with a deceased relative though. 

You realize, I suppose, that for YEARS you couldn’t even get a coin like this graded without going through an authorized dealer gatekeeper. Just saying. There is STILL an unofficial line at about $200 value for getting a coin graded to make sense. Over 44 million of these were minted. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/24/2023 at 5:32 PM, justbuywhatyoulike said:

Sometimes people need information they didn’t ask for. That’s my jam. So what’s my interest? Until recently, if I sat down with a box of graded coins, I knew I was looking at special coins. That’s no longer true. I prefer it the way it was before. That’s all. More than half of all graded coins today have had no business being that way. 

Edited by VKurtB