• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

When sending submissions to NGC, do you track the grades that you assigned for comparison?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

I recently got back a fifteen coin submission of mostly China coins, and upon first glance at the manifest, felt disappointed due to how many received "details" grades.  I guess one just hopes that a coin or two will "slip through the cracks" and get a straight numeric grade assignment :) .

But then, I retrieved a photo of the original 2x2s on which I'd assigned my own grades with problems (where applicable).  Much to my surprise, I nailed the one "details, scratched" and all but one of the "details, cleaned" coins!  I was also within one step in grade of every coin - some over, some under - with one particularly pleasant surprise.  I'd graded one piece as VF+ and it came back AU-58!!  That made the coin a significant rarity.

So it all amounted to regaining a bit of confidence upon reviewing how I'd originally evaluated the coins.  What's been your experience when comparing NGC's grades to what you actually wrote down for your own opinion?

I submit very few coins to TPG's, like maybe five or six coins every 5 years or so.   But yes when I do submit coins I know what I think they should grade, when there are differences sometimes I see why upon further inspection, sometimes I do not.

Yea, I make a note on my page of the submission form. I am virtually always several grades below what NGC assigns them. It was the same at the Rosemont grading competition. I am way too tough a grader. 

I too make my notes on the customer form.  I usually grade pretty tough and have been pleasantly surprised on a couple of occasions. However, I’m still learning when it comes to identifying “Cleaned” coins. Some are obvious but others not so much.  
I just got one back that was labeled “Environmental Damage - Bent”. That’s a new one for me. Looked like a nice coin to me. I’m still learning.