• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1939-B Switzerland 20R DDO Variety in Census?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Dear NGC: I am preparing a group of coins for certification and one of them is this 1939-B Switzerland 20 Rappen. There is clear obverse doubling in "1939" and more faint doubling in some of the letters. I checked Variety Plus as well as extensive internet research and could not find this as a recognized DDO Variety (other than, of course, non-official sources selling mostly on eBay claiming their similar 1939 Swiss 20Rs are the "DDO Variety". However, when I went to investigate the NGC census here:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/switzerland-confederation/sc-301/20r/

It clearly delineates a "Double Die Obverse", albeit with only 1 in the census vs. 17 in the regular mintage. This is a bit confusing to me on what, if anything, I should do to properly submit this coin. I was under the impression that choosing the "Mint Error" option was not appropriate for more common stamp doubling, which this seems to better fit than a formal and/or recognized Double Die Obverse Variety. But if that is the case, why the delineation in the census. 

Any objective guidance or clarification you could offer would be most appreciated since I would like to make this submission before the weekend.

Thank you in advance - JFD

WIN_20230118_14_19_56_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230118_14_20_05_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230118_14_20_13_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230118_14_20_21_Pro.jpg

WIN_20230118_14_20_37_Pro.jpg

• Administrator

Hello @Dascher,

Thank you for reaching out to us and for sharing the beautiful close- up photos of you coin. A variety is a coin that differs from its basic design type in some distinctive way and is thus differentiated by collectors, while a mint error is the result of human or mechanical error during manufacturing. NGC may recognize a double die as a variety but does not recognize machine doubling as a variety.  

I would not be able to offer an evaluation via photos and the coins would need to be examined by our expert graders to determine whether the doubling qualifies for a variety as a double die. To choose this service, you will choose the VarietyPlus service on the submission form not Mint Error. If you feel it is more likely that the coin is doubled due to a striking error, this will fall under Mint Error service. Regarding mint errors, it is also important to note that very common errors or errors that are within mint tolerances do not receive mint error designations. Since the doubling is fairly minor, it may not qualify for designation as a strike error. 

Keep in mind, when submitted for VarietyPlus and/or Mint Error service that fees do apply regardless of the final designation. 

Some related reading:

Variety vs. Mint Error | NGC (ngccoin.com)

Double Dies vs. Machine Doubling | NGC (ngccoin.com)

I hope this information is helpful. Have a wonderful day! 

Thank you very much NickiO CS for such a prompt & thorough reply. It was helpful to some extent but I was aware of most of what you wrote. I suppose the heart of the matter resides in what is likely my misconception as to why the NGC Census per my link above shows a DDO as if it were a recognized Variety for the 1939-B Switzerland 20 Rappen but there is no listed variety in VarietyPlus or any of the sources in the link you posted. I was already aware of the difference between a true Double Die and mechanical or strike doubling thanks to the link you sent above plus the help of some of my wonderful peer members active on this forum via a previous post. I also am aware of the associated fees and would not dare ask for NGC's help on this forum to make a subjective judgement on a coin, but what I'm still getting tripped up on is why the NGC census shows a DDO for this coin that is not listed in Variety Plus. I was under the impression the NGC Census only lists known and recognized varieties exclusively included in VarietyPlus.

Is this a misinterpretation on my part, as it very well may be as a relative rookie?

Thanks - JFD   

Edited by Dascher

• Administrator

Hi @Dascher, your assumption is correct. NGC currently generally only attributes varieties listed in Variety Plus. This may have been a one-off or even possibly an error in our census since the details census does not show the variety. https://www.ngccoin.com/details-census/world/switzerland-confederation/sc-301/20r/

Ultimately, it would be up to the graders to determine if it is something they are able to attribute as a variety. Please kindly let us know if you need anything further.

On 1/23/2023 at 8:07 AM, KaileeS CS said:

Hi @Dascher, your assumption is correct. NGC currently generally only attributes varieties listed in Variety Plus. This may have been a one-off or even possibly an error in our census since the details census does not show the variety. https://www.ngccoin.com/details-census/world/switzerland-confederation/sc-301/20r/

@KaileeS CS Thank you so very much. Now this all makes perfect sense & I have an actionable gameplan I'm confident in. Much Obliged - John F. Dascher