• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin shop, bad review! How many are this bad?

44 posts in this topic

Sounds like a shop that wants out of the business. Most of the shops I’ve been in lately are very well run. Some better than others, but you have to pick and choose. A little research on reputation and experience helps.

When I walk into a coin shop that is subpar, I am thankful.  I walk in, I walk out, and I never waste my time there again.  Nearly half of the coin shops I visit have nothing for my collection (and never will).  Knowing where NOT to spend your time (and money) is just as important as finding a good connection.  On to the next one!

On 1/18/2023 at 4:05 PM, Just Bob said:

And, it really does seem that coin dealers in general are often lacking in basic social skills. I have never understood why that is so.

I infer it's not isolated to coin dealers, but small business generally.  Some bigger ones too.

On 1/18/2023 at 3:14 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If an LCS doesn't have some medium-priced Morgans and some common generic Saints (including graded)....I know they're a clown show.xD

Not sure about the Saints, but otherwise agree with your post.

On 1/18/2023 at 4:40 PM, World Colonial said:

Only 50%?

50% would be those shops that "will never" have anything for my collection.  Others may have inventory that turns-over, or is more aligned with what I am after (even if they have nothing at the time).  That said, I walk out of shops empty-handed 80%+ of the time.

To be fair, half cents are not very popular and they are challenging to find nice.  Most dealers just don't carry them, or the coins they have don't "fit".

On 1/18/2023 at 4:42 PM, World Colonial said:

Not sure about the Saints, but otherwise agree with your post.

Or generic bullion coins.  Assuming their supply isn't tough.  A few times, I wanted to buy and all my LCS had was a couple of Krugerrands or Eagles, no Buffalos or Pandas or Maple Leafs.

I'm in the NYC area so I'm lucky...most of the self-desribed coin shops do have decent stuff.  Might not be something for everybody like a Flying Cent or Nickle or Franklin collector, but silver or gold bullion coins, some Morgans and Saints/Liberty DEs, etc.

On 1/18/2023 at 5:29 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

50% would be those shops that "will never" have anything for my collection.  Others may have inventory that turns-over, or is more aligned with what I am after (even if they have nothing at the time).  That said, I walk out of shops empty-handed 80%+ of the time.

To be fair, half cents are not very popular and they are challenging to find nice.  Most dealers just don't carry them, or the coins they have don't "fit".

You've only mentioned half cents to my recollection.  I wouldn't expect the typical coin shop to have quality half cents of any date on any regular basis.  Part of it is the popularity (what I describe as collector preference), but mostly, it's what @Zebo wrote above my post.

On the PCGS forum, one contributor dealer has estimated that 80% don't buy coins above $300. This seems "ballpark" accurate to me.  They are mostly buying 20th century to date coins in this price range, sometimes higher quality but mostly not.  Also circulated 19th century US, some world, and common high grade Morgan dollars.

If you have one or more "side interests", depending upon what it is, I can see a typical coin shop having that.

I already know in advance that no coin shop will ever have anything in my primary collection I'd ever want to buy, if they have anything of any quality at all.  It's about as probable as winning the lottery.  Very unlikely for one of my "side collections" and still unlikely for the second.

On 1/19/2023 at 9:41 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Or generic bullion coins.  Assuming their supply isn't tough.  A few times, I wanted to buy and all my LCS had was a couple of Krugerrands or Eagles, no Buffalos or Pandas or Maple Leafs.

I'm in the NYC area so I'm lucky...most of the self-desribed coin shops do have decent stuff.  Might not be something for everybody like a Flying Cent or Nickle or Franklin collector, but silver or gold bullion coins, some Morgans and Saints/Liberty DEs, etc.

Big difference between the type of inventory in a high rent district (like NYC) versus most of the US.  NYC dealer can never stay in business selling what most US collectors buy.  There isn't enough money in it.

I'd assume in recent decades practically every coin shop deals in physical silver and most or at least a high proportion physical gold, of some sort.

Due to what I collect, I haven't been in a coin shop since late 2016 and that was to sell bullion.  The dealer was Larry Jackson (a PNG dealer) and to my recollection, he had a sign stating his coin inventory was viewable by appointment only, probably as a security precaution.

Prior to that, in 2011 when i lived in PHX but also to sell "junk" silver.  I'd describe this place as a traditional shop, but I didn't even bother to look around.  I was transitioning from collecting South Africa and asked if they had any.  His reply was to check back to see if someone brought it in.  I asked if it had ever happened, and he said "no".

Duh!  Dumb question in retrospect since I already knew the answer. :)

In my experience, most local coin shops deal in absolute schlock (dreck) and once you get past bullion, they’re lost. There was one guy in Lancaster, PA that was a refreshing counterexample and when I was a kid in the 60’s and 70’s there was a guy in Reading who was good. There was a guy in Huntsville, Alabama who died last year and his shop is now a spray tanning shop. The only guys left are pawn brokers and bullion hawkers. There isn’t a LCS that I’d waste my time with. I. BUY. AT. LIVE. AUCTIONS. Not S-B, not HA, not GC. OTHER auctions. Usually auctions that have no internet bidding. I time my trips back to Pennsylvania to hit back country Pennsylvania auctions. That’s how I roll. I window shop mostly at major coin shows. The prices there on U.S. material tend to be ridiculously high. I do snag some World stuff there. 

Edited by VKurtB

All we have are pawn shops close to me. I can drive 100 miles in each direction and hit a major town who has bigger shops. But the ones within 20 miles are all pawn shops. Most the ones who do have coins they are mostly junk. Except 1 that has some very nice coins. But they have completely lost their mind with the outrageous prices they have. They wont come down none either. They ask triple and quadruple the price of stuff you can find on the internet. I mean stuff that dosent have interesting toning or exceptional eye appeal that may bring a little more premium. They hsve some very appealing coins at a hefty price but their average coins are priced outrageously also. They have alot of junk also. They have a big bin of cull Morgans that probably has 200 coins in it for $50 a piece 2 years ago. Thats the last time I was in there.   They are all mixed up like you dumped a few bags in a bucket. All culls. They asking quite a premium for those. Said they didnt care if they were overpriced. Said someone would buy them. Said they sale them all the time when I mentioned something about it. 

On 1/20/2023 at 2:21 PM, VKurtB said:

I. BUY. AT. LIVE. AUCTIONS. Not S-B, not HA, not GC. OTHER auctions. Usually auctions that have no internet bidding. I time my trips back to Pennsylvania to hit back country Pennsylvania auctions. That’s how I roll. I window shop mostly at major coin shows. The prices there on U.S. material tend to be ridiculously high. I do snag some World stuff there. 

How many "back country" auctions do you have to attend to find quality stuff ?  It's not like these auctions are being conducted by the Pogues, Simpsons, or Eliasbergs.....nor the Vanderbilts, Rockefellers, or Astors.

So is that really a practical strategy ?  I goto FUN or a decent regional coin show, I'm gonna find dozens of coins that are what I am looking for.  Am I going to find that same thing -- and graded -- at estate auctions ?  How many am I going to have to hit ?  How much time and travel and gas and motels will I go through to find what I need, whether it's a nice-loking MS-65 gold coin or some rare hard-to-find ?

Don't get me wrong...I think there ARE good/great coins to be found in the backwaters of America.  I just don't know if that can be a practical strategy for most of us, especially with time limitations.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/18/2023 at 1:05 PM, Just Bob said:

Any Tom,Richard , or Harriet can open up a shop, rent a booth at a flea market, or sit behind a table at a coin show, and call himself (or herself) a dealer. No expertise, or even knowledge of coins, is necessary. And, it really does seem that coin dealers in general are often lacking in basic social skills. I have never understood why that is so.

Well, you've probably seen or at least heard of coin clubs full of grumpy old guys who rarely try new things or meet new people, and whose best life entails being the last guy in the club to go into assisted living. Some of them love coins a lot but fear that the gods would strike them dead if they showed an ounce of enthusiasm for a coin (or anything; terminal cynicism can indeed be a cause of decline). They decide that being capable coin collectors makes them capable coin dealers, where they'll fund their hobby with the profits from selling their junk and get away from the wife for a few hours a day (since retiring they both have learned that all that togetherness is a drag, and their crummy kids are still slurping at the trough claiming personality disorders and trauma issues rather than buckle down and help themselves (and from whom did they inherit those?)).

What they don't seem to realize is that entrepreneurial success generally requires a tripod of skills, two of which must be above average (ideally expert) and one must be at least serviceable. There's artisanship (the thing the firm does), marketing, and recordkeeping. Typically they're good at the artisanship but inept at marketing and variable at recordkeeping. They didn't want to actually build up a thriving business. They just wanted to show up and sell coins so they could buy coins, but it didn't much occur to them that the public is variable and eccentric and prone to waste their time. So much for the dream.

And that's before they've turned away about twenty teens who obviously stole collections, been burned by a dozen counterfeits, and found out what a lousy gig gold coins are for dealers. Maybe even if they had rudimentary social skills to start with, they stopped bothering after reality set in.

I wonder about high-priced thefts....you can't get rid of them at a pawn shop or LCS....how do thieves think they'll get compensated for their risk and efforts...I mean....stealing a coin that is worth $50,000 and selling it for gold melt value isn't that smart, right ? :|

On 1/21/2023 at 11:30 AM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I wonder about high-priced thefts....you can't get rid of them at a pawn shop or LCS....how do thieves think they'll get compensated for their risk and efforts...I mean....stealing a coin that is worth $50,000 and selling it for gold melt value isn't that smart, right ? :|

Getting max value is the job of the fence.  For the thief they're in for $0 so any return is positive.

On 1/21/2023 at 11:41 AM, JKK said:

Well, you've probably seen or at least heard of coin clubs full of grumpy old guys who rarely try new things or meet new people, and whose best life entails being the last guy in the club to go into assisted living. Some of them love coins a lot but fear that the gods would strike them dead if they showed an ounce of enthusiasm for a coin (or anything; terminal cynicism can indeed be a cause of decline). They decide that being capable coin collectors makes them capable coin dealers, where they'll fund their hobby with the profits from selling their junk and get away from the wife for a few hours a day (since retiring they both have learned that all that togetherness is a drag, and their crummy kids are still slurping at the trough claiming personality disorders and trauma issues rather than buckle down and help themselves (and from whom did they inherit those?)). What they don't seem to realize is that entrepreneurial success generally requires a tripod of skills, two of which must be above average (ideally expert) and one must be at least serviceable. There's artisanship (the thing the firm does), marketing, and recordkeeping. Typically they're good at the artisanship but inept at marketing and variable at recordkeeping. They didn't want to actually build up a thriving business. They just wanted to show up and sell coins so they could buy coins, but it didn't much occur to them that the public is variable and eccentric and prone to waste their time. So much for the dream. And that's before they've turned away about twenty teens who obviously stole collections, been burned by a dozen counterfeits, and found out what a lousy gig gold coins are for dealers. Maybe even if they had rudimentary social skills to start with, they stopped bothering after reality set in.

You're spot on....but you know what ? 

Those skills you cite as necesary might be essential to deal with people like US...but not low-brow people who have crappy "collections" or want to unload the family silverware at 40 cents on the dollar or dump some gold coins with some numismatic value for 75% of melt value (and think they got "found" money).....or sell other stuff on the cheap.

I've NEVER been to a pawn shop (not sure I've ever SEEN one in the NYC area xD ) but they are popular across the country and they must do enough business to make a profit which means there are people that find them useful.

So who's to say that a "coin dealer" which is just like Fred Sanford's "empire" in Watts, Los Angeles with a sign that says WE BUY/SELL GOLD/SILVER isn't something that can attract the 1/3rd or 1/5th of the country that is comfortable dealing in that kind of shop ?

I used to buy my business suits at Barney's and Brooks Brothers....but lots of people goto Macy's or Nordstroms. :) 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 1/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, VKurtB said:

Your time limitations are what you allow them to be. I make it a priority to get to coin auctions in south central Pennsylvania. It’s so worth it that I can barely describe it adequately. There is high quality material at EVERY ONE of the auctions I attend, or I don’t go. And yes, this includes gold. Just one auction company is JMI Auctions of Stewartsville, PA. Their auctions are held in a hotel where Interstate 83 and U.S. Route 30 intersect in York, PA, about two towns east of Gettysburg. I get there by taking I-81 and going east through Gettysburg on U.S. 30. My late good buddy who was the President of the Harrisburg Coin Club is buried a LITERAL stone’s throw (decent arm) from the National Cemetery at Gettysburg. The stroll from his grave to the site of Lincoln’s Address took me three minutes. That area literally reeks of history, numismatic as well as general. The last York auction I went to before I moved south included 45 U.S. gold coins, 30 of them double eagles. It’s not uncommon, but that one was noteworthy. I snagged mostly Mint State Liberty nickels and commem halves at that sale. Since I moved, I go back for auctions including particular “target coins” for my sets. I have other “bizznezz” in PA, so it’s shared trips. I’m in the process of de-“north”ing my life. 

Very interesting....what would you say would be the split %-wise between these auctions being for actual collectors (whether intermediate or advanced) vs. novices or "accidental collectors" who just accumulated gold or silver and other stuff randomly over the years ?

As a side-question...what % of the stuff is Raw vs. Graded ?

On 1/21/2023 at 8:50 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Very interesting....what would you say would be the split %-wise between these auctions being for actual collectors (whether intermediate or advanced) vs. novices or "accidental collectors" who just accumulated gold or silver and other stuff randomly over the years ?

As a side-question...what % of the stuff is Raw vs. Graded ?

The auctions’ material comes from recently demised collectors for the most part. The bidders are half show circuit dealers and half serious collectors, and while the percentage of graded coins has GRADUALLY increased, the VAST MAJORITY remain raw. The auctioneers typically have the real “stars” of the material graded, but for the most part, the owners of the coins never did. Yes, even the gold. Even a raw 1856 Flying Eagle cent. Even a Mint State raw 1916-D dime. The bidders typically know their stuff. I’ve traveled all over in my numismatic pursuits, literally all over the country and several foreign countries. There is NOWHERE as knowledgeable as south central PA. Nowhere. Boston comes close. 

I am a “remote member” of the Chicago Coin Club AND Lancaster, PA’s Red Rose Coin Club. It’s nip and tuck as to which has been the more high end club of collectors. It used to be Lancaster’s. But lately, Chicago is. Guys in their 90’s in Lancaster are achieving room temperature. Both clubs are highly ANA membership focused. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 1/21/2023 at 9:55 PM, VKurtB said:

The auctions’ material comes from recently demised collectors for the most part. The bidders are half show circuit dealers and half serious collectors, and while the percentage of graded coins has GRADUALLY increased, the VAST MAJORITY remain raw. The auctioneers typically have the real “stars” of the material graded, but for the most part, the owners of the coins never did. Yes, even the gold. Even a raw 1856 Flying Eagle cent. Even a Mint State raw 1916-D dime. The bidders typically know their stuff. I’ve traveled all over in my numismatic pursuits, literally all over the country and several foreign countries. There is NOWHERE as knowledgeable as south central PA. Nowhere. Boston comes close. 

I am a “remote member” of the Chicago Coin Club AND Lancaster, PA’s Red Rose Coin Club. It’s nip and tuck as to which has been the more high end club of collectors. It used to be Lancaster’s. But lately, Chicago is. Guys in their 90’s in Lancaster are achieving room temperature. Both clubs are highly ANA membership focused. 

In the old days before internet you had to have the phone and word of mouth information through dealers and collectors. I am sure VKurtB still has a lot of those type connections where others do not.

On 1/21/2023 at 8:16 PM, VKurtB said:

The last York auction I went to before I moved south included 45 U.S. gold coins, 30 of them double eagles. It’s not uncommon, but that one was noteworthy. I snagged mostly Mint State Liberty nickels and commem halves at that sale. 

Just curious....were most of those DEs commons worth bullion value and/or heavily circulated....or were they all raw ungradeds with some real numismatic value ? 

I presume you're not going there for graded, certified coins ?