• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stolen or lost by DHL
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Can anyone help me if they had a problem like mine🙏🙏 I decided to send a coin to an auction company in Germany for the first time.When the package arrived in Germany, the auction company told me that DHL lost the package and they are investigating for 2 months. What should I do, the coin is very rare.The question is urgent, because they may sell it and to tell me that they are conducting an investigation and looking for the shipment, so that I don't complain to NGC them and take it off the register.😭

On 1/10/2023 at 2:39 AM, Coinbuf said:

You are likely hosed, why in the world would you send something to Germany to auction it.

I really don't know, maybe I trusted that they could put Künker up for auction as soon as possible. They of course said that if it is not found they will pay me compensation, but what compensation based on what I don't know 😢

On 1/10/2023 at 2:46 AM, Sandon said:

Did you obtain insurance on this package?

DHL is still looking for the coin the investigation is not over. The auction house has to pay me because I sent it with their return label. But what insurance if the coin is worth a lot of money.

On 1/9/2023 at 8:02 PM, cozi said:

The auction house has to pay me because I sent it with their return label. But what insurance if the coin is worth a lot of money.

The coin was apparently covered by insurance procured by the auction house.  You should read your consignment contract or other documentation with the auction house for any pertinent provisions. (You should always read and understand such documents before deciding to send coins.) You will likely have to provide proof of what the coin was and that you owned it, such as by invoices, proof of payment, photos, or the like. 

If the coin was certified by a reputable third-party grading service such as NGC or PCGS, the value can likely be determined by reference to current price guides. Any method of valuation provided by the contract would be determinative, however.

On 1/10/2023 at 4:07 AM, Sandon said:

The coin was apparently covered by insurance procured by the auction house.  You should read your consignment contract or other documentation with the auction house for any pertinent provisions. (You should always read and understand such documents before deciding to send coins.) You will likely have to provide proof of what the coin was and that you owned it, such as by invoices, proof of payment, photos, or the like. 

If the coin was certified by a reputable third-party grading service such as NGC or PCGS, the value can likely be determined by reference to current price guides. Any method of valuation provided by the contract would be determinative, however.

In that case, I must notify the NGC to remove the coin from the registry right?

On 1/10/2023 at 4:26 AM, Coinbuf said:

Well it sounds like there will be some form of compensation, so not as hosed as I assumed from your op.

Well, if the price that should have been sold is 15,000, and they give me 1,000, what's the point

On 1/9/2023 at 9:18 PM, cozi said:

Not until the matter has been settled fully. Any evidence that you owned the coin, and any pictures or other records may prove important to your claim.

On 1/10/2023 at 5:25 AM, Just Bob said:

Not until the matter has been settled fully. Any evidence that you owned the coin, and any pictures or other records may prove important to your claim.

My worries are that if it is stolen, they may sell it, and they tell me that they are looking for it. And if it is removed from the registry, it will be quite difficult for them to sell it, because the coin is  pattern only one in the register of NGC .Hardly anyone will risk buying it if NGC the ad that it was stolen.But I don't know if it is possible or if they will help me

An NGC certified coin can be sold whether or not it's on the NGC Registry!  If it's NGC certified, its certificate number will still show up on the "NGC Certificate Verification" function whether or not its owner participates in the Registry.  Most collectors don't participate in the Registry.

If the purchaser tried to enter the coin in the Registry, NGC would likely ask you to remove the coin from your competitive coin list, so you would learn of the sale from NGC in those circumstances. Moreover, the coin's being in your set would tend to prove your ownership, so, no, you should not remove it from the Registry until this matter is resolved.

On 1/10/2023 at 7:00 AM, Sandon said:

An NGC certified coin can be sold whether or not it's on the NGC Registry!  If it's NGC certified, its certificate number will still show up on the "NGC Certificate Verification" function whether or not its owner participates in the Registry.  Most collectors don't participate in the Registry.

If the purchaser tried to enter the coin in the Registry, NGC would likely ask you to remove the coin from your competitive coin list, so you would learn of the sale from NGC in those circumstances. Moreover, the coin's being in your set would tend to prove your ownership, so, no, you should not remove it from the Registry until this matter is resolved.

Many thanks for your advice

On 1/9/2023 at 10:18 PM, cozi said:

I would leave it in the registry. If its under your name. That is your proof it was yours and its grade. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 1/10/2023 at 7:00 AM, Sandon said:

Maybe I didn't express it correctly, not to remove it from the registry, but to remove the number when someone wants to check that nothing comes out🙄

On 1/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I would leave it in the registry. If its under your name. That is your proof it was yours and its grade. 

I didn't express myself correctly. Is it possible when checking the number of the coin to show that it is stolen, something like that 🤔

On 1/10/2023 at 9:50 AM, cozi said:

I didn't express myself correctly. Is it possible when checking the number of the coin to show that it is stolen, something like that 🤔

Im not really sure. Ive never had that problem. You may be able to contact NGC and ask if theres anyway you can report it. This really sucks. I feel for you. Hope they can find the coin and it gets resolved. It may have been misplaced. Did you have tracking on the mail? Where it could be traced all the way to the auction house? 

On 1/10/2023 at 4:55 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im not really sure. Ive never had that problem. You may be able to contact NGC and ask if theres anyway you can report it. This really sucks. I feel for you. Hope they can find the coin and it gets resolved. It may have been misplaced. Did you have tracking on the mail? Where it could be traced all the way to the auction house? 

Thanks for your sympathy! Yes, the shipment is in a DHL warehouse in Germany, they said they have the label that fell off and are looking for the shipment, but I don't believe it.

See

Based on this old thread, it appears that NGC will keep a record of its certification number and intercept it in the unlikely event that the coin is re-submitted to NGC in its holder. You may also want to contact the Numismatic Crime Information Center through www.numismaticcrimes.org.

On 1/10/2023 at 6:07 PM, Sandon said:

See

Based on this old thread, it appears that NGC will keep a record of its certification number and intercept it in the unlikely event that the coin is re-submitted to NGC in its holder. You may also want to contact the Numismatic Crime Information Center through www.numismaticcrimes.org.

Many thanks for this information!

On 1/9/2023 at 7:02 PM, cozi said:

DHL is still looking for the coin the investigation is not over. The auction house has to pay me because I sent it with their return label. But what insurance if the coin is worth a lot of money.

I would look into the amount of time DHL has to investigate, start asking for managers, supervisors, follow up with emails in writing.  DHL needs to prove they delivered it, also there should be some kind of signatures. for receipt or not..  Sorry to say, DHL has not been reliable.

On 1/14/2023 at 3:37 AM, R. Seibold said:

I would look into the amount of time DHL has to investigate, start asking for managers, supervisors, follow up with emails in writing.  DHL needs to prove they delivered it, also there should be some kind of signatures. for receipt or not..  Sorry to say, DHL has not been reliable.

Kunker told me to send with their DHL label. Yesterday they wrote to me that they will pay me compensation from the insurance. But what kind of compensation and how they will determine the amount of this coin they do not tell me.

On 2/12/2023 at 3:33 PM, cozi said:

Yes, fortunately Künker turned out to be good partners, they said they would pay me compensation (the amount we agreed on as the starting price) even though we hadn't signed documents yet. But the other day they told me that they found the coin, which is very lucky for me☺️

Thats great to hear. Glad they found it. I was wondering how it turned out for ya. Glad it turned out great.