• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Completed 1936-42 Cameo Proofs Die Catalog
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Very nice!

Did you notice changes in die markers during life of the same die pair?

On 12/30/2022 at 9:07 PM, FlyingAl said:

Weak U in TRUST. Strong solar rays, very weak AW.

Is this the "Santos Politician" variety? I.e., weak personal trustworthiness, need for higher SPF sunscreen to protect from glare of truth, and watered-down local root beer?

On 12/31/2022 at 9:32 AM, RWB said:

Very nice!

Did you notice changes in die markers during life of the same die pair?

Is this the "Santos Politician" variety? I.e., weak personal trustworthiness, need for higher SPF sunscreen to protect from glare of truth, and watered-down local root beer?

:roflmao:

I did not notice any major changes of the die markers during later die states for the half dollars. The coins are large enough that the markers were generally prevalent enough and distinct enough to carry through the entire die life. 

However, when going through every date/denomination to get the full list of die numbers needed for the entire study (31 (possibly 30) dies in the series produced cameo coins), I noticed that for something like the 1940 proof cent the die markers for one die pair are difficult to distinguish from another non-cameo die pair. They also wear as the dies wear. That's the only die pair that I really was struggling determining markers so far, but I imagine there are more. 

On a side note, I did discover that it appears one 1942 cent cameo die pair accounts for almost 80% of the cameo coins. That's well over 100 coins. The die started producing DCAM coins for quite a bit (I estimate 10 such coins exist) and it appears it wore slowly enough to continue producing cameos for such a large amount. This is contradictory to the previously widespread speculation that a die would only produce 25-35 cameo coins (this die produced quadruple that).

Very cool study Al. I enjoyed that very much. I may bookmark it if you dont mind so I can come back for info when I need it. It will be very useful. Thank you for sharing. That is some excellent work. 

On 12/31/2022 at 2:05 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Very cool study Al. I enjoyed that very much. I may bookmark it if you dont mind so I can come back for info when I need it. It will be very useful. Thank you for sharing. That is some excellent work. 

Go ahead! I will be putting up the cents, nickels, and dimes when they are completed. It's a pretty labor intensive process, so it may take a while.

When it is complete I hope someone will find a use for it!

On 12/31/2022 at 1:32 PM, FlyingAl said:

On a side note, I did discover that it appears one 1942 cent cameo die pair accounts for almost 80% of the cameo coins. That's well over 100 coins. The die started producing DCAM coins for quite a bit (I estimate 10 such coins exist) and it appears it wore slowly enough to continue producing cameos for such a large amount. This is contradictory to the previously widespread speculation that a die would only produce 25-35 cameo coins (this die produced quadruple that).

Possibly one of the special chromium plated die pairs?

An "outlier" is and "outlier" until there are enough to make them "normal." :)

On 12/31/2022 at 4:31 PM, FlyingAl said:

Go ahead! I will be putting up the cents, nickels, and dimes when they are completed. It's a pretty labor intensive process, so it may take a while.

When it is complete I hope someone will find a use for it!

That very generous putting it up to help everyone. Thank you. You done some great research. 

On 1/1/2023 at 12:07 PM, numisport said:

Do you have plans to publish your Die work ?

Other than posting it here and sharing on the PCGS forums, no. 

I wouldn't know where to start. If there's a major call for it (I don't think there will be) then I may reconsider.

On 1/1/2023 at 3:10 PM, FlyingAl said:

Other than posting it here and sharing on the PCGS forums, no. 

I wouldn't know where to start. If there's a major call for it (I don't think there will be) then I may reconsider.

Thank you for posting your excellent information. I enjoyed learning about the markers on the proofs. It will help as I am going to be adding more proofs to my sets down the road.  

I'm going to TTT this one more time for anyone interested.

This was a huge undertaking, and literally every die that produced a cameo proof from 1936-1942 is cataloged, inventoried, marked, and described. This is a TON of research and information.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If anyone would want to see this published, let me know and I can see if I can get it prepared for publishing. I'd want some strong support for it though.