• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Morgan Coin Rings
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I made coin rings as a kid. They have a smooth outside and the features are turned to the inside. Not sure how one could push the center to one side to get features inside and out without smushing the inside features. To me this looks manufactured and not from a coin. If you make a ring that wide the inside is real small.

On 12/8/2022 at 7:52 PM, asdfgh said:

I made coin rings as a kid. They have a smooth outside and the features are turned to the inside. Not sure how one could push the center to one side to get features inside and out without smushing the inside features. To me this looks manufactured and not from a coin. If you make a ring that wide the inside is real small.

Pretty easily done with the right tools. https://youtu.be/5JeT_Kq_0t4

I am deeply ashamed to say I own two of these (because years ago I criticized a fellow member for intimating the intentional damage of any coin was somehow permissible.) One ring I have turned out to be an 1881 Morgan, and the second, a ring I requested be made from a 1937-S Walker which the artist assured me had in stock. I foolishly assumed both would be the same size (obviously, they could not be) but was even more disappointed the artist failed to inform me the mint mark would not appear in the final product. As it turns out, I no longer wear either not because I never liked rings to begin with, but because they interfere with locomotion whether by cane or walker. Finger bones do not yield easy to the unrelenting pressure of hard word, plastic and metal.  It appears to me your photo depicts a Morgan ring that has been finished with a black enamel. Not that it is any consolation, but though Morgan and Peace dollars were widely available from banks in any quantity at their face value in the earlier 1960's, they were generally shunned because of their weight and the potential damage they caused in wear and tear on pockets.

Edited by Quintus Arrius
Routine die polishing

On 12/8/2022 at 9:37 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I am deeply ashamed to say I own two of these (because years ago I criticized a fellow member for intimating the intentional damage of any coin was somehow permissible.) One ring I have turned out to be an 1881 Morgan, and the second, a ring I requested be made from a 1937-S Walker which the artist assured me had in stock. I foolishly assumed both would be the same size (obviously, they could not be) but was even more disappointed the artist failed to inform me the mint mark would not appear in the final product. As it turns out, I no longer wear either not because I never liked rings to begin with, but because they interfere with locomotion whether by cane or walker. Finger bones do not yield easy to the unrelenting pressure of hard word, plastic and metal.  It appears to me your photo depicts a Morgan ring that has been finished with a black enamel. Not that it is any consolation, but though Morgan and Peace dollars were widely available from banks in any quantity at their face value, they were generally shunned because of their weight and the potential damage they caused in wear and tear on pockets.

COOL post some pictures.