• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Newbie Question - Strange Marks on Coins

12 posts in this topic

I am totally new. I have attached 3 photos taken of quarters which all exhibit the same type of indentation mark on the obverse side of the coin. I see indentation marks on about 1/2 the coins I look at.

Can anyone tell me what causes these marks or what these marks are called?

Quarter with marks 1.JPG

Quarter with marks 2.JPG

Quarter with marks 3.JPG

On 12/2/2022 at 6:44 PM, Coinbuf said:

Welcome to the forum, those marks happen when the reeded edge of another coin (likely another quarter) bangs into this quarter and damages it. Edited to add:  These are called, appropriately, reeding marks. 

Isn't the metal for quarters (what is it, BTW ?) pretty hard compared to gold or silver?   I'm surprised another quarter could leave those "reeding marks" -- they look pretty deep, CB.

It should be noted that bag marks, reeding marks--these are not wear or circulation. A coin can be uncirculated and have them. A mint state coin is graded partly by the quantity, location, and seriousness of contact marks.

On 12/4/2022 at 8:34 AM, ldhair said:

Coin sorting machines can also create marks such as this. The coins come out at pretty high speeds. 

Ptooey!