• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

☆ Designation on my Proof Die Cracks ?.
2 2

40 posts in this topic

On 12/1/2022 at 9:08 AM, Simple Collector said:

The * designation is the eye appeal of the coin. It has nothing to do with a die crack or any other detail that happens in the minting process. It should also be noted that proof coins are graded differently than business struck coins.

Meteors streaking across the sky have eye appeal. 

Screenshot_20221130-174844_Gallery.jpg

On 11/30/2022 at 5:17 PM, NewGuy1 said:

Why are we even bothering with this clown.  You guys told him why stars are used FOR GRADING.  Somebody would either have to be the stupiest hick headed dumber than a bag of rocks oerson or just a jerk that like mess with others to make them feel important. @errorist  WHICH ONE ARE YOU.  Wanna bet he replies with someting about stars that makes no sense

Night everyone. Once again, sorry if my posts bother the smart, helpful, respected people who want to help new guys like me learn.

The forum has an ignore function and it is very useful for just this type of problem, my suggestion is you may want to look into using that feature so you do not want to see or read his nonsense.

On 12/1/2022 at 10:08 AM, Simple Collector said:

..... It should also be noted that proof coins are graded differently than business struck coins.

I do not know that proof coins are graded any differently from circulation strike coins, but whereas an uncirculated coin can lose its fresh from the Mint status continually, throughout its projected service life, a proof coin remains a proof, forever.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

I do not know that proof coins are graded any differently from circulation strike coins, but whereas an uncirculated coin can lose its fresh from the Mint status continually, throughout its projected service life, a proof coin remains a proof, forever.

Would that only apply if put in circulation? Are there not proof coins that are graded below PF60 because of circulation or other means of obtaining wear?

On 12/1/2022 at 1:20 PM, Simple Collector said:

Would that only apply if put in circulation? Are there not proof coins that are graded below PF60 because of circulation or other means of obtaining wear?

Proof coins may be found in circulation.  They may even exhibit signs of excessive wear, but that does not detract from the fact that they were minted as proofs and remain as proofs, forever.

On 12/1/2022 at 1:36 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

Proof coins may be found in circulation.  They may even exhibit signs of excessive wear, but that does not detract from the fact that they were minted as proofs and remain as proofs, forever.

And business strike coins will remain as business strikes forever as well.

On 12/1/2022 at 4:41 PM, Simple Collector said:

And business strike coins will remain as business strikes forever as well.

No, my friend, not so fast! A coin which came into this world as a newly born, uncirculated coin may degrade over time depending on parents, guardians--and a mischievous pet. 

A proof, on the other hand, has a distinguished provenance. The male of the illustrious, blue-blood species may marry a Camilla Parker Bowles or Meghan Markle, but regardless what happens, it forever maintains its anointed status as a member of a highly-coveted class of coins.

An uncirulated coin displaying any hint of wear can only aspire to be "almost" unciculated.  Not so the proof.  There is no such grade as "almost" proof.  "Prooflike," perhaps, as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  But once a Proof, always a Proof. Only a numerical suffix need attach, as necessary, to acknowledge extracurricular chatter.

On 12/1/2022 at 6:09 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No, my friend, not so fast! A coin which came into this world as a newly born, uncirculated coin may degrade over time depending on parents, guardians--and a mischievous pet. 

A proof, on the other hand, has a distinguished provenance. The male of the illustrious, blue-blood species may marry a Camilla Parker Bowles or Meghan Markle, but regardless what happens, it forever maintains its anointed status as a member of a highly-coveted class of coins.

An uncirulated coin displaying any hint of wear can only aspire to be "almost" unciculated.  Not so the proof.  There is no such grade as "almost" proof.  "Prooflike," perhaps, as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  But once a Proof, always a Proof. Only a numerical suffix need attach, as necessary, to acknowledge extracurricular chatter.

I respectfully disagree with your assessment. The provenance of a coin is determined at the time of the manufacturing process and the type of dies that are used. An uncirculated coin may degrade if put into circulation but so would a proof if put in similar circumstances. There are way more uncirculated coins than proofs in existence  and probably debatable on which is more coveted. Depends on the collector or the series I would say.

There are impaired proofs and I would say that the proof moniker makes them no more or no less desirable as a business strike coin in AU condition. It depends on the collector and the series in my opinion.

Hope you enjoy your evening! I am off to watch a little football!

On 12/1/2022 at 8:10 PM, Simple Collector said:

Hope you enjoy your evening! I am off to watch a little football!

🐓:  This guy sure knows how to drive a hard bargain.  He puts pigskin over provenance!  He's been here twice as long as we have. What're you going to do?

Q.A.:  What can I do?  Without Ol'hoop I am nothing.  [Might be a case of Ol'hoop's revenge.] And to think the Error-guy couldn't get a single star ☆ out of this.  Sheesh!