• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1825 working die state capped bust half dollar
2 2

11 posts in this topic

I know what your thinking.  I stand guilty as charged.  I don't know whether this die state is working, or still on strike, but I do believe this nearly two hundred year old bust half dollar depicts the ravages of time as any other would expect to if allowed to freely circulate in its raw state.

Why not submit it for a complete diagnostic to see that all its parts are in good working order.  If re-cuttings are present, perhaps a nice numismatic balm will do the trick, allowing it to cure and protect against further injury.  :whistle:

The doubled profile is from strike doubling and is common on Capped Bust half dollars and other coins of this era. It's not "recutting". I don't see any extra curls in the area you circled, which includes the center dot, a remnant of the die-making process, which is also common on pieces of this era.  You can check the die variety on NGC VarietyPlus or PCGS Coinfacts.  If you determine that this coin is from a new die or new die marriage, it would be worthwhile to have a grading service verify your findings.  It doesn't appear to be a significant (very early or very late) die state.

On 11/28/2022 at 1:15 AM, Melior Invenidiste said:

What kind of a grade would you say this coin is?

Regardless the grade, this coin deserves authentification and certification----and a home it can call its own.  (thumbsu