• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How could this Buffalo Nickel be graded as a GEM ? (1913 type one doubled die reverse FS-1802)

8 posts in this topic

How in the world could this 1913 buffalo nickel be graded as a gem?  Look at all the distractions on the reverse.  Not trying to knock the service accross the street but this coin had to have degraded in the holder

after it was graded.  Look at the black spots on the top of the reverse and then near the bufalo's tail?  How could this get past three graders and a finalizer in this condition and then come thru the grading process as a gem?

(This is my first post in a long time, nice to be back.)

s-l1600 (2).fs02.jpeg

s-l1600 (2).buf01.jpeg

ranxw943559j,pix01.jpeg

s-l1600 (2).fs03.jpeg

s-l1600 (2).fs04.jpeg

The rev strike is a late die state strike, that is evident from all the flow lines and general mushiness and softness you see.  However, the obverse is very well struck and seems to have sufficient luster to support a gem grade.  And while I might not consider it a gem quality coin, overall, I can see how under the market grading scheme that the TPG's use why a gem grade was issued.

Edited by Coinbuf

In my opinion no coin with a numerical grade less than "67" can be presumed to be a "gem".  Even then you have to examine the coin and decide if you agree and it's to your taste.

An owner paid a lot of $$ for an "opinion." That does not mean the opinion is in agreement with the owner's view.

I suppose an inference could be drawn that the grade MS-65 may be interpreted to mean GEM, but PCGS does not explicitly state so. [Maybe MS-65 is simply buoyant numismystique for GEM].  The only troubling aspect to me is why someone at PCGS didn't get on the horn to the submitter and propose, for an additional nominal fee, removal of those unsightly bird droppings on and about 11, 12 and 3 o' clock on the reverse. (If it's any consolation, the same coin graded by the same TPG, at MS-64 can be had from Iccoins on eBay, presently, for the princely sum of $1,254.  But my lying eyes insist it is no bargain with wear, yes, WEAR quite apparent all over the coin.)

No one I know would bequeath a descriptor such as the highfalutin MS-65 on this coin, but then again, I've only been in the hobby for sixty years.  :roflmao:

On 11/27/2022 at 3:24 PM, Quintus Arrius said:

No one I know would bequeath a descriptor such as the highfalutin MS-65 on this coin, but then again, I've only been in the hobby for sixty years. 

Shhhhhhh....Mustn't question the immortal and all-powerful Ooze. (Behind the curtain...over there by the Squirrel Nutkin statue....)

Image1.thumb.jpg.c0a6e3fb37f15733d3272361a16865ad.jpg

Copyright Frederick Warne & Co., 2002.

On 11/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, t-arc said:

I always thought that Superb Gem was the equivalent of MS67 whilst MS65 was Gem Unc. and then MS63 was Select Unc.

In general this is what I was taught as well, but I have found that there never was a solid industry/hobby wide definition of these terms and thus depending on where you are from and who "taught" you the terms and how they relate to the Sheldon scale there is some variance.   It is also interesting that for the most part it was very hard to get something graded higher than gem (for MS) when the TPG's started, even many dealers stopped with MS65 for the longest time, superb gem MS67 and better is a rather recent grading realm.