• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading opinions
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to fairly grade a few hundred wheat pennies that were left to me. This one represents what i think is a good average for the lot. Any opinions on it's grade and value would be appreciated. I purchased a red book but the prices seem  a little high. I don't want to overcharge anyone but don't want to give them away either. Any advice on finding a fair value would also be appreciated. Thank you all very much!20221126_090914.thumb.jpg.eeb3a63d5da46f3c9e38c0c2b3d3596c.jpg20221126_090955.thumb.jpg.401b16a49a8e6af2307f6c3236192801.jpg

F15 is what I grade this coin, the obv is closer to VF20 but the rev is more F12 so I settled on the middle.   I would not be surprised to see this advertised as a VF coin by many sellers.   Value is roughly $10-$15 depending on the selling venue.

VG-8. The limiter would be the lines on the wheat, which are in my view not up to the F-12 standard. The whateverit is at about 800 on the reverse is also not a help. Bottom line is that we can only even see some of the lines because the coin is blown up so large and sharply (good pics, high marks for doing that absolutely right). In hand, we'd just see muddied lines with about half visible--the standard for VG-8.

VG - if not grainy.

Buyers for coins in that condition are scarce and won't pay much.

(I prefer grading coins rather than grading opinions, or the back yard.....)

Edited by RWB

Here's an ebay 1914-S being offered for $12.50.

1914-s.thumb.jpg.ff013b2ead8e8e4b97f36dbdcbeb2e41.jpg

If the OP can find a buyer at $3.50 he/she/they/them/it/us'ens is probably fortunate. ;)

The easiest way I've found to grade a large bunch of cents is to put them into piles based only on appearance -- everything that looks a lot like the OP's coin goes into one pile; another pile for better, etc, When all the coins are into condition "bins," you go back and grade only a couple of coins in each bin. Coins tossed back from circulation are rarely worth the $$ to justify time for individually grading each piece.

PS: The 1914-S I posted in a nice Fine condition coin.

Edited by RWB