• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Chinese Counterfeits Article

14 posts in this topic

I read a really good article on modern Chinese counterfeits by Thomas Walker with numerous example pictures and indicators that I don't recall seeing linked on the board.  So I thought it would be good to share that considering the proliferation of these recently, including more commonly with slabbed coins.

http://ncna.club/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Counterfeit-Coins-Article.pdf

I was pretty amazed at the machinery and number of counterfeit dies in one of the "workshops".  I have a particular interest in this as I purchase almost all raw coins, but the last few years it seems like many are aware of these raw coin fakes so they are getting into counterfeit slabs more which can effect every collector.

On 11/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, VKurtB said:

The extent of Chinese counterfeiting is far beyond most collectors’ imaginations. And I’m talking about serious collectors. 

Tom made that point at FUN.  The Chinese have been playing fast-and-loose with fair/free trade and copyrights ever since they were admitted to GATT/WTO back in 1999. :tonofbricks:

Strange view on what is a crime elsewhere, and what at it's core is intended to defraud people.

Also, the following is a link to a page on VamWorld that is mostly about counterfeit Morgans, but it also includes diagnostics for identifying counterfeit NGC and PCG$ holders ... http://ec2-13-58-222-16.us-east-2.compute.amazonaws.com/wiki/COUNTERFEIT_PAGE#Altered_Dates

On 11/26/2022 at 12:00 AM, VKurtB said:

I used to deal with a photographer who was publishing books on hairstyles. I did his photo lab work. He was having the books printed and bound in China, until he found that the “stolen by the Chinese” versions of his books outnumbered his legit ones by 100:1 or more. They had no conception of why he was upset. It’s a cultural thing. 

Yeah, more like a COMMUNIST thing. xD

They don't mind stealing from others -- it's a "cultural" thing -- but when Great Britain had control of Hong Kong or when Taiwan wants to be left alone, that's a grave offense. :mad: 

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/26/2022 at 12:14 AM, Just Bob said:

Exactly. I am convinced that their moral standards are almost completely non-existent. They seem to have no concept of right and wrong, in many cases.

...correct....all is fair in everything, rules n regulations r used as tools to gain advantages...winning is the only standard by whatever means...honor is a liability....